Chapter 36 : Documents

As it was Summer, Jane didn't sleep a lot because of the heat. She hated Summer. Jane and Max chose an apartment with at least two chambers to sleep in better condition during Summer. But, as they hadn't slept together for a while, none of them wanted to separate for now. And at work, it was worse. All these men in the same room were increasing the heat so much that it was unbreathable! They were trying to fill their files while their bodies were melting on their chairs. Beverly arrived during the afternoon with a backpack which she put on Jane's desk.

- "I'm sorry to arrive this late, I'm not working today so I didn't really wake up early this morning..."

- "It's fine, don't wor—"

- "And then, I had to search for everything you asked, but I didn't have all in my desk!

- "It's okay, I unders—"

- "So I went to my work, to take it back, but the bus was soooo slow, I still can't believe it!"

- "(grabs her wrist) Bev! It's perfect, thank you," smiled Jane.

- "Yeah, sorry, what you told me yesterday totally...stressed me! I hope you'll find what you're looking for in this," said the redhead.

Jane began to look at the things that Bev brought her.

- "The tape is inside?" asked the brunette.

- "Yes."

- "It's a good beginning."

- "If you need anything, you ask me."

- "Yeah? Can I keep this picture?"

Jane showed a picture of Bev, Lucas, and herself during their first day in Somalia, all smiling and close to each other.

- "Of course, I've copies of it, I love this picture too," softly smiled Bev.

- "It will look good on my desk."

- "Yeah...Thank you for coming yesterday."

- "Well, it was at my home!"

- "No, don't be stupid, you know what I mean."

- "Yeah. No problem, we're still friends, right?" told Jane.

- "Of course."

Jane slid her hand from Bev's wrist to her hand. The two girls were looking at each other with a soft smile.

- "If Max was there, she would be wondering if something happened between us," joked Jane.

- "Oh yeah?"

- "Yeah, she thought something happened between us in Somalia."

- "I'm sure Moussa thought the same."

- "No, I didn't!" answered Moussa.

- "Not even a little bit?"

- "...Maybe, but I trust you so, not for long."

- "Anyway, thanks for the documents, I'll watch this tape again and again!" said Jane.

- "Good luck," smiled Bev. "When do you have a break?"

- "Now, if you want," answered Moussa.

- "Cool."

The black man stood and took his girlfriend's hand before leaving the room with her, letting Jane alone. The brunette quickly finished her files and began to watch the tape. She understood better why it was censored and why Bev told them she wanted to shock, it was more than shocking! And the entire moment when Bev was with Karim was cut, which was stupid because it showed the real life of the Somalians. American censorship, as always! Anyway, she arrived at the part she wanted to see. She watched it again and again, trying to note what he was saying. When Moussa came back, she was still watching it. Daniel was repeating again and again the same sentence. She didn't know what it meant, but she tried to write it the best way she could.

- "You should take a break, you've been on this video for three hours," told Moussa.

- "Three hours!? (looks at her watch) Damn! That's true!"

- "Yeah, quite long."

- "I need to learn Somalia's language. But now, I need more information on Daniel."

- "Oh, I don't like it!"

- "I'm just gonna ask, that's all!"

- "Be careful, a cop investigating on a military is never a good thing!"

- "If this military is a traitor, it's not bad!"

- "I hope you're right..."

- "I'm sure I am."

- "Don't do that because you think finding a responsible will repair everything," told Moussa.

- "I'm not! Even Lucas noticed weird things about him!" got irritated Jane.

- "Okay, okay, sorry..."

Jane spent the afternoon on the phone, trying to convince every people she had to give her some information about Daniel, but the army was worse than a grave. None of them cooperated, even when she said it was for an investigation. So, she decided to visit them. She took her military card to enter easily. After twenty minutes, she was finally inside. She didn't stop at the secretary and went directly through the corridors, ignoring her ex colleagues asking her why she was there. She burst into her former boss office.

- "Brown!? What does that mean!?"

- "I need to talk to you. Privately."

The colonel made a movement with his head to tell the others to leave the room. They all looked at Jane with angry eyes before leaving.

- "So, what can I do for you?"

- "I need Daniel Johns's file."

- "For what!?" got upset the colonel.

- "An investigation."

- "You really want to do an investigation on one of your colleagues, Brown!?"

- "Ex colleague. I've suspicions about his honesty."

- "Having suspicions about someone's honesty is not enough to stick your nose into someone's life like that! Just because you're a pig now doesn't mean you're above the laws!"

- "I think he told the rebels for our last mission."

- "Wh-uh, these are really serious accusations, you know that!? It can ruin this man's career!"

- "If he ruined my life, I don't know why I should care about his career," said coldly Jane.

- "You're skating on thin ice, you know that!?"

- "I take the risk."

- "Not me. Now leave. Do I have to ask someone to see you out!?"

- "I know the way."

- "Good."

Jane left the office without making the military salute and slammed the door behind her. She knew he wouldn't give her the file, but it was lunch time, and she knew that the secretary was empty. She waited for the woman to leave the room before sneaking inside. The computer was still switched on. She had to be quick; anyone could arrive at any moment. She found rapidly his file and sent the impression.

- "Come on, come on," mumbled Jane.

The last paper appeared, and Jane didn't wait more to take them. She quickly hid them in her jacket before quickly leaving the building. She had never walked so fast in her entire life.

When she arrived at the police station, she quickly hid the documents in her papers before hearing:

- "BROWN! In my office! NOW!"

The brunette tensed her face and looked at Moussa who pouted. She knew why he wanted to see her.

- "How dare you asking private information on one of our colleagues!" got angry the Lieutenant.

- "He is not our colleague!"

- "THE ARMY ARE OUR COLLEAGUES! Is it clear!?"

- "Yes," answered Jane.

- "Good. Go back to work."

Jane nodded and followed his order. It could have been worse. She sat at her desk and began to read her documents. She was sure to find answers in this.