→CHAPTER EIGHTEEN.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN.

❝ AS LONG AS I'M HERE
NO ONE CAN HURT YOU ❞

••

By some miraculous miracle (at least, that's what she considered it to be in her eyes), both Millie and Sadie were not seen in that large clinic by anyone else on their way out. As they made their way out from that back area, she tried her best to hide her face with the documents she held as they walked through the waiting room, smiling politely towards the receptionist on their way out. Then, as fast as possible, they made it into the vehicle parked outside waiting for them.

It was not until the moment they were walking back into her apartment in the early afternoon did she feel that she could finally take a breath of relief. Back in the comfort by which these walls provided, a place to feel free and safe with her secret. Somewhere she did not feel the need to stay hidden.

Without wasting a second, Millie comfortably plopped herself onto the plush sofa, kicking off her shoes and letting them fall messily onto the floor as she dropped her handbag beside her. She sighed softly, rolling over onto her side and shutting her eyes. That whole process had tired her out. All she wanted was to eat and sleep.

The latter would not be coming so soon, she realized, as Sadie trailed into the room already speaking as she walked through.

"Well, since we just got that first appointment out of the way," Sadie began, a bit distractedly as she bent down to grab Millie's sneakers, "we can start focusing on what to do next."

Millie opened her eyes, peering up as the redhead maneuvered around her to place things into order. Honestly, she really did not want to do much of anything right now. Not only was she feeling so drained, but there were still these weird harboring feelings that stayed stuck in her after having seen the small little thing that she was growing.

The whole atmosphere in that room felt like nothing she had ever felt before. Sure, she supposed she had before felt something even remotely close when she had been surrounded by small children everywhere she went. That feeling in the small room of the clinic, though, it was nothing quite exactly like anything else.

Something made her feel all weird about it, though it wasn't necessarily a bad weird. It was just. . . different.

Because of this, the last thing she wanted to discuss right now was this baby. She didn't know why, but even just thinking about talking out these plans was irritating her. She did not want to think about what to do, where to start, how to do it all right. Not now, not right after.

As she walked across the living room towards the kitchen, Sadie spoke, "So, now that you know how far along you are—"

"I already did," Millie muttered lowly, rolling her eyes as she scooted her back further into the cushions.