→CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT.

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT.

❝ I THOUGHT THAT I MEANT MORE TO YOU ❞

MORE TO YOU ❞

••

There was barely even a single coherent thought in his head as he left the building of her apartment as fast as possible. It was too much too suddenly. All of it. Everything he had heard struck him harshly, tilted his world off balance, and he even felt like he was struggling to breathe properly.

Millie is pregnant.

That thought alone is on loop, echoing loudly amongst the rest. It's the most clear thought he held among them all. He takes a sharp intake of breath as he walked along the sidewalk briskly, hoping it would help to keep him steady. Where was he even going? He had no clue.

Millie is pregnant with his baby.

Panic rose in him with that clarification. His pace only quickened as he trudged along in the crisp air of Atlanta, head held low as he went on towards his unknown destination. He wasn't even sure if there was a destination somewhere in mind.

Millie lied to him.

That one alone was a hard pill to swallow. Because beneath it all, this one was the root of everything. A lie was just the beginning of it all. The pregnancy, their time together, his baby growing inside of her. God, that was even harder to grasp an understanding of.

How was he supposed to handle the fact that somewhere inside of her was something that was a part of him?

Everything was becoming too much the longer he let it all sink in. His chest was heaving painfully as his eyes frantically searched for anywhere to relax himself. Anywhere that he could take a moment to stabilize his breathing, collect his frantic thoughts.

Millie's pregnant. Inside her is his baby. He was told not even half an hour ago that he was going to be a father.

The world around him was spinning, and the edges of everything were faded into a blur of colors as he couldn't even hear the outside world around him anymore. The only sound heard was the drumming of his heart in his ears, the blood rushing through his veins as if it were waves crashing against a sandy shore.

He needed a moment to himself. That's what he told her. But where was he even going now? It seemed his feet just had a simple plan of their own: to keep moving.

By the time it felt like he could finally breathe again, his focus was easy to regain. Still no clue on his whereabouts as he glanced around himself, finding that he was near an array of different small stores. An ice cream shop, a bistro, a pizza place, and a few more things. What caught his attention was that some of them offered outside seating.