Chapter 1

Tracy Davis was just sitting down at her desk, filling out paperwork that seemed to be a never-ending job, when her desk phone rang. She picked it up, smiling as she saw the name on the caller I.D.

"Detective Davis," she answered.

"Hello, my favorite niece," came a jovial response.

"Uncle Scott, how are you? I haven't heard from you in a while."

"I know, and I am sorry about that, but I have been a bit busy lately, that is why I called, besides, I needed to hear your sweet voice."

Tracy laughed. "Sure you did, so what's up?"

"I need your help."

"Oh? Must be urgent from the sound of your voice."

"It is, I think someone is trying to either kidnap me or kill me."

Tracy frowned into the phone. "Why, Uncle Scott? This is not good. What have you been doing to upset someone?"

"Just my usual work, but I have been working on a special project." Her uncle worked for the government helping to invent new things to help out the military.

"It must be special if someone is trying to take your life," she said.

He sighed. "You have no idea how secret this project is. That is why I cannot discuss it over the phone."

"Why do you want me? Don't you have a good police force there to find out who is after you? And I thought your sons were there with you."

"Yes, but both boys are so busy, they can't help any, and I have an assistant that was hired to help protect me, he works with the FBI, but so far no one has been able to find out who is after me."

"You have the FBI working with you and they cannot find out who is after you? Then why do you want me? If they can't catch him, then you know I can't."

"Oh yes, you can. You are the best Tracy, your name is spoken here with reverence."

"Oh uncle, you are too much," she laughed at him.

"No, I am serious Tracy, the men that work at the department really like you, and they have been asking about you lately."

"Whatever, they were probably glad to get rid of me the last time I was there."

"Oh no, they weren't. If I remember correctly, they were begging you to stay."

She had to admit, she had enjoyed working with the police department where her uncle lived. She had been called there on assignment, thanks to the recommendation of her uncle, and had enjoyed every minute she had spent there. The officers were competent and actually didn't mind having a female working with them.

Tracy laughed again. "Uncle Scott, you tell such good stories. So, why did you call me again?" she teased.

"I really need your help, Tracy."

"Uncle Scott, I am really busy here," she sighed. She did owe her uncle though. He had always been good to her since her parents had died.

"I know that, but please tell me you have vacation time coming. I really need you," he pleaded.

"Uncle Scott, I'm not sure what good I would do."

"You could find out who is after me, I know you could."

"You have great faith in me, uncle."

"That is because you are the best, please come, you can stay here of course, in the guest room. Please say yes," he begged.

"I don't know uncle Scott, I am so busy," she replied, feeling guilty for turning him down.

"I will pay you the salary you make there, plus cover your flight here."

She sighed. "Okay, I give up. You must really need me."

"Yes, I do. So when can you leave?"

She laughed. "I have to talk to my boss first okay? I will call you later with the details."

"Thank you, Tracy, you have no idea how much this means to me."

"I will soon find out won't I?" she grinned, "I will call you later."

"Please do," he said and hung up.

She heard an impatient foot-tapping behind her as she hung up. She turned to see her boss, the formidable Chief Brown frowning down at her.

"Detective, I have told everyone, no personal calls while you are on the clock."

"I know that sir, but it was urgent."

"Urgent or not, do it on your own time."

She nodded and stood, so she wouldn't feel so intimidated by his large stature. He was not a nice man, and she knew he only kept her there because she was so good at her work. She did not like the man, but then she was the only female, and he tried to point that out to her over, and over, even though she worked the hardest. She realized she really did need a vacation.

"I have a new assignment for you," he told her.

"Make one of the others do it, sir. As of now, I am taking my vacation."

He looked at her in shock, his dark eyebrows furrowing together to make it look like he had only one.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me. I am taking my vacation. For a month, and maybe longer."

"You cannot leave," he spouted.

"Yes, I can."

"Look, I am trying to give you first dibs on this case," he protested.

"Why? You never have before, you always give one of the men detectives the work, and then only come to me after they have failed which is let's see, every time?" she said angrily. "Are you finally realizing that your men are incompetent like I have been telling you this past year?" she shouted, her anger getting the best of her.

"I only do it for your safety," he protested, getting red in the face. They were drawing attention from the other officers.

"Bull crap Chief. Just because I am a woman you think we are all helpless. But wait, who took down the drug dealers last week?" she shouted.

"You did," he mumbled.

"Who talked the bank robber into giving up?"

"You did."

"Who diffused the bomb in the town hall?"

"You did."

"Exactly. Yet, you assign these jobs to worthless cops who couldn't find their way out of a paper bag! And let's not forget who saved the mayor's daughter from her kidnappers, or stopped the animal rights group from burning down the mink farm."

"Okay, I admit you have solved all of those cases, and gotten us out of some tight spots," he said begrudgingly.

"I know, and now you are going to find out how hard it is to get your so-called officers to actually do something. Because I am leaving." She reached into her desk drawer and pulled out her gun. Her chief took a visible step backward as if she were going to use it on him.

She holstered it and turned to him. "I am leaving for one month. Perhaps in that time, your men will learn how to be real cops instead of sniveling babies."

"You cannot just leave. There are too many cases," he told her.

"Try and stop me. Have one of your men do it, since you think they are so good."

She grabbed her jacket from the chair and put it on.

"Please, detective, let's be rational about this," he pleaded.

"You know Chief, whining really does not become you," she told him. "I am leaving. If I feel like coming back, I will. In the meantime, I suggest you show your men how to be real officers so they don't end up shooting each other."

She then turned her back on him and walked out the door, leaving an unsettled wake behind her.