Chapter 7

When she woke up, she glanced at her alarm clock. It was after ten in the morning. Why had they let her sleep so late? But then, she had been shot, and it had been after two by the time she had finally gotten into bed. She groaned as she accidentally rolled over onto her shoulder.

"Wrong thing to do," she muttered and sat up.

She grabbed some clothes after finally making it off the bed. She felt pretty weak, but then she had lost some blood the night before, what should she expect? She took a bath to keep her bandage dry, and then after dressing, she headed into the observatory after grabbing a banana on her way.

"How come no one woke me?" she asked her uncle as she walked in.

He looked up from his work.

"We just got up ourselves," he admitted, "and considering you were shot last night, you needed the rest."

"Thanks," she said, and then looked over to Craig who looked like he had been up for hours.

He was going over some paperwork at her uncle's desk. He looked up from it. "I decided to work here from now on, especially after what happened last night. Your uncle is in even more danger now."

"Yes, I know," she sighed and walked to her uncle. "What are you working on now?"

"It's a computer chip," her uncle said proudly. "I am making them to be inserted in drivers' licenses, so when it is scanned it will tell officers everything about that person, and if there are warrants out for them."

"Smart," she said and took a seat by him. "Did the precinct call?" she then asked.

"Yes," Craig stated, not looking up from his work, "but I told them that you were resting."

"I was supposed to go and question the suspects," she said, getting upset.

"They said if they needed you they would call later, but they were pretty sure they could handle things," he replied, still looking at his work.

"I suppose they could, they always have before," she stated.

"So, how come you aren't resting?" her uncle asked.

"I rolled over on my shoulder, it was like having a lump of hot coal shoved down my shirt," she stated.

"Ouch," Craig muttered.

"Yes, ouch," she agreed.

"So what are you doing today?" her uncle asked.

"I don't know, I had so much fun yesterday, nothing could top that," she grinned.

He laughed. "I hope we don't have anything top that."

"I hope not either," she replied, just as the phone rang.

Her uncle picked it up. "Hello?"

"Oh, hi Grey, yes she is right here," her uncle said, and handed over the phone.

"Hi Grey," Tracy said, taking the phone.

"Hey yourself, how are you feeling this morning?"

"Sore, but alive. So what's up?"

"These guys aren't talking, want to come help?"

"Of course I will," she replied.

"I don't want you driving with your arm though, maybe I could come and get you."

"I can drive," she said.

"No you aren't," Craig stated from the desk. "If you are going anywhere, I will take you."