Chapter 13

When Tracy finally headed outside with the other officers, things had been cleaned up. John was talking to an officer. He saw Tracy and jogged to her side. He didn't look happy.

"What's up cuz?" she asked, seeing his face.

"I have to tell you something, but don't get mad."

"Okay," she said.

"Craig was just called out on another assignment. They didn't even give him a chance to come in and tell you goodbye, he asked if I would do it for him, and I said yes."

He kissed her cheek. "He said he would miss you, and that he hopes to see you again someday."

Tracy nodded, "Thanks John, I hope I will see him too."

"You really like him, don't you."

"I do. I really like him."

"He loves you, you know. I could tell. He really wanted to come back inside, but his boss was anxious to get going. Apparently, there is something big going on."

"I wonder what?" she said.

"Who knows, but I bet the Chief would know."

"Yes, I bet he would," Tracy nodded. "Thanks, John," she said and headed away to talk with her chief who was there to help clean up. She hoped that she would get to see Craig again. She felt heavy-hearted as she watched her uncle walk out of the house.

He walked over to Tracy and hugged her tightly.

"I never did get a chance to tell you thank you for saving my life, again. I am so glad I have you here," he smiled.

"I am glad I was here for you uncle and glad this is over."

"I am too, more than you will ever know. So where is Craig?" he asked, looking around.

"He was called out on another assignment."

"Oh, I am sorry," he said.

"I am also, uncle, because who knows if I will ever see him again."

"If he really cares for you, you most definitely will."

"But his work like mine it is so demanding."

"I know that, but if you love each other, you can work around that," he pointed out, hugging her to him again. "I love you, niece of mine, you have no idea how glad I am that we are all alive."

"Yes, me too uncle," she agreed, as John and Harv walked over with the chief.

"Nice job, Lieutenant," the chief told her, handing her back her badge and gun. "You did an excellent job today. And I have to admit, when I found out you were still alive, I shouted with joy," he grinned at her.

"Thanks, Chief, I am grateful to be alive also. But I think that because there are still a few of my old coworkers who think I am dead, or are still looking for me, I think it best if my death stay the news topic right now until we can catch them."

"Of course, which reminds me, do you want to head back to California and take them down?"

"I would love to, but let me fly out tomorrow, I have had a very long couple of days."

"Of course," he agreed, "go rest, I'll get you a plane ticket."

"Thanks, boss," she told him.

"Anything for you Lieutenant," he told her and walked away.

After everyone had left, Tracy headed back inside with her uncle, John, and Harv. Two officers stayed behind just in case, which made Tracy feel better.