Chapter 3

Back in her condo, Tracy began to pack. She knew that it would be cool in Montana, it was only May. She did throw in a sweater and a jacket just in case, and a few nice dresses if she went out on the town. She then spent the rest of the day cleaning her place and then collapsed, exhausted into bed. She slept very well and had a hard time getting up when her alarm went off at five. Her flight left at seven so she would have to hurry, but since she was packed, she just needed to shower and grab a quick breakfast. Just as she was getting ready to leave, a knock sounded on her door. Curious, she looked through her peephole. Two of her co-workers were standing on the porch, looking nervous. She sighed and pulled open the door.

"Mark, Kyle, what are you doing here?" she asked unkindly. "I am getting ready to leave."

"We just came to apologize and ask you if you would come back to work today. We seriously need your help," Kyle told her.

"I am sorry Kyle, but like I told the Chief, I am taking a vacation."

"You seriously are?"

"Yes, I am, now if you will excuse me, gentlemen, I have a flight to catch."

"But you will come back?" Mark asked.

"Perhaps. It depends on how the boss treats me."

"We will make sure that he treats you much better," Kyle promised.

"And you?" she looked at the two men, "would you treat me better?"

"Of course," they said in unison.

"I will think about it," she told them, and grabbing her luggage, and locking the door behind her, she headed to her car.

"So we will see you soon then?" Kyle asked hopefully.

"Nope, you'll have to survive on your own boys," she said, not even feeling bad. She then waved at them as she saw her cab pulling up to the curb. "Bye boys, have fun," she laughed, and climbing in, she told the driver where to take her, and soon she was gone, leaving behind the two frustrated men.

She arrived at the airport an hour before her flight. She checked her luggage and was let through with her gun when she showed her badge. But the airport security already knew her. She had helped them out a few times with some problems. "Finally taking a vacation detective?" the TSA agent asked.

"Yes, finally," she grinned.

"It's about time. What's your boss going to do without you?"

"Probably fall apart," she admitted.

"I am sure he will. Don't be surprised if the town has fallen apart while you are gone."

Tracy laughed. "I'll cross my fingers."

He laughed and let her through. She hurried to the gate just as her flight was being called. She handed over her boarding pass and the woman said, "Tracy Davis, yes, first-class, go right on board."

"Thank you," Tracy told her and headed down the jetway to the plane. Once on the plane, she settled into her seat, grateful that her uncle had chosen first class for her. But he made very good money, so it probably didn't bother him any to put up the money for her flight. After all, she was going to help him.

Just as they were about to roll down the runway, the pilot's voice came over the intercom. "Sorry folks, it seems like we have left a passenger behind. As soon as he boards we will be on our way."

Tracy wondered who was so important that they would hold up the flight for him. She soon found out as she heard the plane door open and a man walked on board. He spotted Tracy at once.