Oneshot - Animal Shelter AU - Bellow Pearl/Volleypearl

(author's note: in this AU, Blue Pearl and Yellow Pearl are already dating and both work/volunteer at the same animal shelter to learn more about earth)

Yellow sighed. "Blue, we're not going to get an earth animal just because you think that it is 'cute'."

Blue pouted, holding up the small puppy. "Just look at him! Look at that precious little face!" The puppy, for its part, was reaching its paws toward Yellow. "He's reaching for you!"

Yellow shook her head. "Sorry, Blue, but we don't even have the 'money' we need to take care of it."

Blue set the little dog back down, throwing a ball for it to retrieve. She didn't say anything to Yellow, clearly upset.

"Blue, you're not going to give me the silent treatment over this, are you?"

Blue turned away with a huff, to Yellow's annoyance. When the pup returned, she patted it on the head and threw the ball again, laughing as he took off in a blur of fur.

"Blue, come on. This is ridiculous. You're acting like the diamonds are here or something." Yellow continued to watch as her girlfriend attempted to give her the cold shoulder. Based on Blue's over-the-shoulder glances, Yellow knew she'd just snap out of it soon enough.

~~

Soon enough, it was time for them to take the puppy back into the shelter. Yellow attached the leash, then looked to Blue. "Do you want to walk him back?" Blue took the leash, but noticeably dragged her fingers across the back of Yellow's hand.

"This won't work, you're not going to bribe me into getting this dog."

Blue looked over her shoulder and winked. "Mhm. We'll see how long that lasts."

Yellow blushed, following by her girlfriends side. "It's not my choice... we just don't have 'money'."

Blue shook her head. "YOU don't. I managed to get a 'job' here. They pay me 'money' per hour. I'm here a lot." 

This caused her girlfriend to look at her, confused. "You didn't tell me... why?"

Blue shrugged. "It wasn't ever really relevant...Can we please get him?"

"My stance hasn't changed, I don't know where we'd keep him."

Blue rolled her eyes. "The gems are letting us stay at the lighthouse already, and agreed to help us build a fence. Until then, I can walk him. Please?~" With this, Blue gently kissed her girlfriend, causing them both to stop walking for a moment. The puppy took this moment to lay down on Yellow's feet. "Any... changes in your stance?" 

Yellow sighed. "You planned this, but I guess there's no reason to say no... alright. We can get the dog."

Blue grinned, petting the dog. "His name is 'Rusty'."

"You named him already?"

Blue looked embarrassed. "I put a hold on him, they said if I decided to adopt him I could. All we have to do is give them the 'money' and then we can take him home."

Her girlfriend looked mildly annoyed for a second, then smiled and shook her head. "I should've known. Well, let's get ourselves a puppy then."

~~

After a surprisingly short conversation and monetary exchange between Blue and her coworker, they left the shelter with a little puppy. Yellow wasn't allowed to hold the leash, as the puppy had suddenly taken off and dragged her nearly a block before Blue could save her. 

The walk was rather short after that, but the pair seemed rather happy, especially Blue. Rusty continually attempted to run off after other dogs, but Blue would scold him and they would continue home.

When they entered the lighthouse, Blue closed the door behind them and let Rusty off his leash. He began to explore, and there was a shriek in the next room after a few moments. Yellow rushed in to see Volleyball (Pink Pearl) had been tackled by the puppy. She looked up, scared. "Help! This tiny earth being ran in and knocked me down!" Rusty then began to lick her face, causing her to shriek again. "IT WANTS TO EAT ME!" 

Blue ran in, picking up Rusty with a snicker. Yellow was in full laughter. Blue explained to the other pearl that lived with them, "He's our new puppy. They sometimes jump and lick your face as a greeting."

The trio then sighed as they heard Pearl burst in. "Are you all alright? I heard yelling."

Volleyball was the first to reply. "That was me. We have a new 'puppy' and its greeting was very unexpected." 

Pearl entered the room, walking to Volleyball's side. "Yeah, Steven wanted us to get a dog for him for ages. Instead, we accidentally got lion." She put her hand on Volleyball's shoulder, causing them both to blush. "Well, I'd better go back. Steven and I are playing checkers."

With that, Pearl left in a hurry and Volleyball waved after her, then sighed as if already missing her.

"Somebody has a crush!~" Blue chimed in, causing Volleyball to tense. "Hey, keep it down! She could hear you!"

Yellow shook her head. "As far as I'm aware, she would know if she was observant. You are quite obvious about it."

Volleyball hid her face. "Oh diamonds, really? I'm that obvious?" 

Yellow nodded. "Yeah." She was silent for a moment, then got an idea. "Why don't we go down there and show Steven the puppy? Then maybe you could talk to her?"

Blue chuckled. When the other two pearls looked at her, confused, she elaborated. "Oh, it's nothing. I think that sounds nice."

~~

((A/N: Hey anybody who reads this! Let me know if you want to see a part two to this. It'd be more focused on volleypearl, but would still have some more bellow pearl. I plan to post more on this account and story, so any feedback would be wonderful! Sorry for the halfway style change, I worked on this for a period of a little over a week. 

I'm taking suggestions! There are certain ships I will not do due to age issues and the like, such as stevinel, but feel free to ask!~

Anyway, have a great life! <3)