Oneshot - Human AU - Volleypearl - Soldier Pearl Request

((A/N: This one was another request! I thought this was such a wholesome concept that I pushed a few other concepts aside to write this one asap! Hope you enjoy <3))

((WARNING: This chapter contains references to violence, war, and injury. It's very slight, but viewer discretion is advised!))

Pearl had been in the war for nearly two years now. Day after day, she would go out and be forced to kill to stay alive. Time had blended together, and she had given up on most basic functions. She learned to never get attached to the rest of her group after her former friend bled out in front of her while she could do nothing. She had nothing to live for except for Volley, the one person she knew who managed to escape the draft.

Now, though, the war was over. A battle had happened, far from her area of battle, and the capital city was captured. She was being sent home.

When she was told, she began to cry and lifted the other soldier off the ground. They started to cry as well, and cheers soon rose among the group. Eventually, they began to chant the names of the fallen, thanking them each for their service. The commanding officer didn't stop them, despite the noise, as they understood why they were coping this way.

Two weeks later, Pearl had gotten into contact with Volley. Volley had managed to escape the war by lying about being pregnant. She wasn't actually, but Pearl wasn't ever going to tell anyone that. She learned that Volley had "adopted" an abandoned baby so that the government wouldn't try her for avoiding the draft. Pearl spent the entire, several hour, flight talking to her over text and calls, when they were able to.

The airplane eventually landed, and she could barely wait to rush into the main area.

She left the plane and saw a huge crowd, made nearly entirely of people waiting for returning soldiers. She looked around as most of the flight rushed off to family, friends, and significant others that they hadn't seen in years.

Pearl finally saw Volley, a baby carrier on her back. She waved frantically, and Pearl rushed over to her. Volley did the same, but slightly slower as to not shake "her" baby.

When they met in the middle, they immediately kissed. A few people standing nearby looked, but the few that noticed just cheered quietly.

Pearl eventually pulled back. "It's been so long. How has he been doing?"

Volley smiled. "It has." She took the baby out of the carrier, holding him. "I decided to name him Steven. What do you think?"

Pearl gently held the baby's hand, and it giggled. Tears welled to her eyes. "That's precious. Little Steven."

They walked out to the car, still chattering about everything that had happened while the two were apart.

~~

Years later, Steven was off to his first year of school. Neither Pearl nor Volley could say goodbye without tears, and they hugged him at least twenty times in five minutes.

Once he left, the two of them returned home, and sat down at the kitchen table. It was silent for a few moments, as it had been a long time since they were alone without Steven.

Volley then spoke up. "What do you think about getting another?"

Pearl looked up. "Another kid?" She looked thoughtful. "I mean, I don't see why not. Steven might want some interaction outside of his moms. Not counting the friends he's certain to make today." She paused, too. "If we get a kid we get a pet. My rule."

"Deal." Volley said after a moment, and then opened a site on her phone. "I looked around, and it seems like this girl around Steven's age needs adopted. Her name is Nora."

"I looked around, too, and there's this cat. It says he used to live with four kids, but they surrendered him after they moved and couldn't take him. His name's Lion. I think Steven would love him."

"Nora or Lion first?"

"Let's ask about Nora. If she's allergic to cats, we won't get Lion."

"Sounds good."

They quickly leave the house, deciding to surprise Steven.

~~

After a few weeks of inspections, jumping through hurdles, and trying to keep it hidden from Steven, they were approved for both Nora and Lion.

They were waiting in the main room with Nora, and she was talking on and on about how she was so excited to have a brother. Lion was resting on top of the couch, not bothered by Nora's excited speech.

Pearl eventually went to pick up Steven from the bus stop, and when she came back she told Steven, "So you always said you wanted a sibling, right?"

Steven grinned from ear to ear. "Yeah!"

"And a pet?"

"Yeah!" Steven was smiling even wider, which caused Pearl to struggle to keep her composure, flashing back to how Volley looked after the war.

"Follow me."

Pearl led Steven to the room with Volley, Nora, and Lion. Steven was silent for a moment, grinning. Nora was the same. "Steven, meet Nora. Nora, meet Steven."

"Hi Nora! Are you my new sister?"

"I think! You're my brother, then!"

Pearl and Volley looked on, sharing a look.

"I think they get along."

((A/N: Hey everybody! This one isn't super specific on sticking to just soldier Pearl, but I hope you like it either way!

Still taking requests! No ships with age gaps containing minors such as stevinel, though!

Have a great life <3))