Oneshot - Soulmate Colors AU - Polypearls

((A/N: Hello! Yeah, I guess I'm going to write a bit of this ship that's probably semi-rare, all four of the pearls just being casually poly. Ship name by my friend! Keep in mind they are still gems, just with the colors AU thrown in!))

It had been ages since any of the pearls had even heard from the others. After Steven's reform of the gem empire, they all scattered. 

Pearl had returned to Earth to teach at Little Homeschool, and to be with the rest of the crystal gems. 

Volley had fled to Earth as well, but ended up exploring the beauty of the planet.

Blue ended up staying on Homeworld, helping other gems learn their own strengths and passions.

Yellow went to Little Homeschool after wandering the universe for a while, just to check it out. 

Eventually, though, they all ended up meeting in one of Pearl's "On the Subject of Soulmates" classes. These classes were all about soulmates and how they worked for humans and gems alike. It was basic knowledge that you only saw one color until you met your soulmate. Though, her classes also discussed how some gems and humans were born seeing color and what happens if your soulmate dies. 

Yellow ended up attending to learn more about how she had lived for thousands of years and yet never found her soulmate. 

Blue attended in order to be able to return to Homeworld and teach her gems the same thing. She, too, had lived for thousands of years and yet wasn't too concerned about her lack of a soulmate.

Volley attended just out of curiosity, and because she had recently learned about Little Homeschool.

It was a sunny day, and it turned out to be just the four pearls in the class. All of the other gems were off doing outdoor things with the other instructors. 

Pearl ran through the basic lesson, explaining how everyone saw at least one color, and then was interrupted by Volley raising her hand. "Question?" She asked, looking to her.

"So you can see, say, three colors?" Volley asked, and Pearl nodded.

"Yes, and I should know. I see three colors."

The other three pearls started to speak all at once, and Pearl quieted them. 

Blue then said quickly, "Yellow, red, and blue?"

Yellow looked to her. "You see them too?"

Pearl shook her head. "Hold on, everyone, this is probably a coincidence. There's no way we all see the same colors." 

Volley looked up. "I see them too."

Pearl put her hand over her eyes. "No way... Alright, the next lesson was that you know your soulmate once you touch them. As I was saying-"

Blue suddenly reached over to Yellow and poked her shoulder, causing them both to flinch back. 

"What now?" Pearl asked, impatiently.

Blue struggled to compose herself, then said, "Colors. There's... there's more colors." She looked around. "But... not all of them, I don't think."

Pearl walked over to the 'students'. "Alright, everybody up, we should go ask Garnet about this. I'm a little out of my league with this."

She offered her hand to Volley, pulling her up. She then looked confused, and sat down. "There's... how... what... I thought-"

"There's more colors, like they said." Volley said, choking up. 

The two pairs of pearls shared a look. Quickly and wordlessly, they joined hands in the center of a circle. All of them then stumbled back, startled by the sudden appearance of so many colors. Pearl began to cry, and Volley went to comfort her.

"That's why I never saw colors. It wasn't Rose, it was... all of you."

The other pearls looked anxiously at each other, as if unsure what to do about this. 

"The diamonds never allowed us to make contact. Did they know?" Yellow said, almost angrily.

Pearl put her head in her hands. "I don't know. I... I need a moment."

The rest of the pearls then yelped as Pearl poofed, causing Volley to catch the gem moments before it hit the ground.

The remaining pearls shared a look, then left the building. They began to call for the one Pearl had mentioned, Garnet.

After a few minutes of calling the name, Garnet walked over to them. She looked shocked seeing Pearl's gem, then closed her eyes for a moment. 

"She'll be fine. Take the warp to the Temple. The giant statue house." Without another word, Garnet turned and left.

The pearls followed her advice, returning to the Temple. Within a few hours of being there, Pearl returned. 

Volley instantly hugged her. "What was that? Are you alright?"

Pearl nodded. "Yeah. It's just a lot to take in." 

The others agreed, then all sat down.

"What do we do now?" Blue asked, having sent her message back to Homeworld. She was having someone else take over for her.

"I guess we just... be happy." Yellow smiled, leaning on Blue's shoulder.

"I guess so." Volley agreed, and they all looked to Pearl.

"Well, I can give you all your first lesson on fusion?"

~~

It was a few weeks after the initial soulmate revelation. Pearl had decided they should get to know each other better before they tried to fuse.

Now, they were all outside, laughing happily and just sort of walking along the beach. Eventually, Pearl and Volley decided to dance. Not even with intent to fuse, just for fun. 

Of course, they ended up fusing after a few minutes. Royal Pearl grinned, looking down at the other two pearls. "Well, are you two joining me?"

The other two did the same, and it took a lot longer for them to fuse as they were used to dancing without contact.

Eventually, though, they fused successfully. Green Pearl was eye level with Royal, and they both laughed. "This is quite fun." Royal said.

Green nodded. "Yeah!" 

Royal then offered her hand to Green.

"Next level? If we can, that is."

"I thought you'd never ask."

The two fusions ended up in a dance without a set form or anything beforehand, which was overall strange to the both of them. Several times, they had to pause to laugh about it.

Eventually, they opened their eyes and there was only one of them again. 

"Well look at this!" The fusion looked around, then laughed.

"I'm quite tall now." She said, and then shook her head. 

"Whew, this is tiring. I'll be taking a nap."

They then unfused, sending them both falling into the sand. 

"I'm surprised we didn't unfuse back into four." Green said, looking at her hands.

Royal just laid down. "Fusion is quite the tiresome thing. I must rest now, love, but just ask Volley and Pearl if you really need me."

She then unfused, leaving just Green. Out of courtesy, Green unfused as well.

"That. Was. Awesome." Volley said, still laying down and tired.

They heard a yell echo down the beach, and looked to see Stevonnie. 

"Aw, you guys didn't wait for me!" 

They all laughed, and decided to go for a walk back to the Temple with Stevonnie.

It was a nice night to walk, after all.