Chapter 10: What Lies

Petra's POV

"Papa, please... help me with this... I can't stand hearing go like rabbits every other night..." I complained softly, knowing that Papa would help me win against an idiotic baroness who doesn't know their rightful place. A baroness was meddling with the affairs of dukes and duchesses. Hah, lame. "Papa, will you help me?"

"Alright, I'll be there with a guy of my choice. I'll make sure that you will still have the right to be Levi's prideful wife. And if he refuses, I can't have my princess be disappointed, so I'll make sure that he understands what is going to happen."

"Thank you, Papa."

"Now go before Levi suspects. You have a big day today."

*   *   *

Levi's POV

3 months already passed, and it was fearful to see her reaction leading up to that single day. Someone leaked that she was the one I loved, and everyone wanted her opinion about loving an engaged man. She couldn't leave my house without being harassed by reporters. I had to stop her from weeping. In my gut, I felt that I knew who leaked that information... and it was Petra. I'm sure of it.

"Come, it's time." I say, helping Hanji to her feet. There was no doubt that she was pregnant. A small baby bump was gradually growing- and I could feel the curves on her body a lot more. I smiled gently, seeing that all the shirts she was wearing were growing a size too small. This time, she was wearing a simple, yet beautiful dress.

I couldn't help but give a simple grin to see her in that dress. How she was just a sun in that dress. Her pale orange dress would billow in any wind, and that amber necklace on her neck was perfect with her caramel eyes. A little ray of sunshine... always there to make me smile. Her hands were graceful on her stomach... and we both knew that in just a few more months, we would see the child.

"Don't make me beg- we're gonna be late if we don't leave now."

"Honestly, I'm scared." She whispers in my ear, clinging onto me for dear life. I smiled gently, kissing her lips. "Levi, I'm being real here."

"I know, but don't worry... you are telling the truth that the child in you is mine, right?"

"Yes..."

"Then that's it. I don't doubt you one bit."

Her worry-filled eyes gazes towards Petra's empty bedroom and sighed heavily. "It's her I'm worried about..."

My head tilted a bit as I tried to think of concerns rather than the most obvious one. "What about her?"

Hanji turns back to me, clutching onto my hand- squeezing so tightly like something would pull us apart. "What if it is your baby in her and she would hurt me to ensure she wins? I'm not doubting that she's smart like that and-"

I shushed her quietly, kissing her sweet lips. It worked for a few seconds, so I had to work during those seconds. "No one is as smart as you. She put herself into this corner, not you. Besides, you were pregnant first, were you not? The first-born inherits everything."

"Pregnancy isn't as straight as a line-"

"You get what I mean. If our child is born first before hers, then it makes you the rightful woman beside my place. Now come on before we make a bad impression."

Hanji slightly nods and links arms with mine. Caressing her sweet cheek, she giggles a little bit. "Oh Levi... what's gonna happen there?"

"It's gonna be a bit awkward, but you have to be strong, okay?" She nods her head gently, understanding the consequence of being my one true love. "They're gonna watch you pee into a cup to check the hormones. Yeah, there will be a camera to ensure that the person overseeing it is not bribed or blackmailed. Be strong."

"I will."

*   *   *

Around 6 o'clock, the results were finally here. The one part to prove if Petra was pregnant or not. I didn't believe a single word from her about her being pregnant with mine- it couldn't have been mine. Her father was next to her as she folded her hands on her stomach- like she was carrying a baby. On the other hand, I linked my arms with Hanji as she laid on my shoulder.

Zachary walks on by with the results, turning to Petra. "According to the video and the man I entrusted to watch you, they proved that you tried to get them to say that you were positive. Results were in, and it said that you were not positive." A few gasps were let through in the empty halls. "You lied about being pregnant."

Petra quickly stood up, holding her hand on her stomach. "I-I was! No, it can't be... it must've been a miscarriage!"

"A miscarriage?" I rose an eyebrow and chuckled a bit. "Petra, either way, you're not pregnant with my kid. Your claim is gone. As we know it, Hanji is carrying my child. It will be there heir to my legacy, and Hanji will be my wife."

With a quick scoff, Petra stared towards Zachary with pleading eyes. "Hanji must've done something to my baby- she had to!"

"Hanji was with me the whole entire time. If she could've done something, she wouldn't be hiding it. She wants everything to be fair and equal. That is what a real duchess would've done, Petra."

I growled towards her, and yet her father glared at me too. "My daughter deserves better. Let's say that the baby in Hanji was not Levi's. What shall we do then?"

"As Levi stated, he would still take Hanji's hand in marriage. Petra is going to be cut out entirely."

"What if she does get pregnant with his kid during the time when we wait for that spawn inside of that woman grows? Then what?"

"Hanji is still my wife." I growled towards the two of them. But Petra's father just smirked.

"The fortune goes to the heir and the mother, correct? That is the rule from the beginning of the Ackerman. Even if Hanji is married to you, she would have a kid that would not be Levi's. But if Petra does, she still has the inheritance, correct?"

They showed themselves quite quickly. That was the thing they wanted. My fortune, my legacy. Hanji will have my child because I've entrusted it to her instead of a hag like Petra. "That is if Levi impregnates Petra, sir." I turned to Hanji, who stood up from her seat with a heavy groan. "If Levi says that he still wants me, he would have no reason to sleep with Petra. That being said, what you're proposing is illegal. You can't get a semen sample from Levi without his permission. He would never impregnate Petra if he has me."

I smiled gently, kissing my love on the lips. Her intelligence was high off the charts. The pathway that the Rals recreated were slowly trapping them- disintegrating. We were all gonna overlook a simple thing they said, but Hanji caught it. She told the truth. She will have my child. That will be my child. No matter what.

"That-"

Petra's father began, but Zachary held his hand to stop him from speaking. "Hanji did bring up an important point. At this point, Petra would have to obtain Levi's sperm illegally and that will stop her from being married to Levi. That being said, one illegal move from the Rals will put them out of commission. Understood? No lies shall be told. To ensure a safe environment for the baby, Levi, would you take her to a safe place? I would prefer it if you stayed with her in secret."

I nodded my head, accepting it. "Yes, I will. We shall go immediately."

"The public will hear of this soon. Dismissed."