Chapter 12: Cry

Levi's POV

We've been waiting for 2 months, and I needed a breath of fresh air. Staying in this tiny house with just Levi... it was too overwhelming. I felt trapped- breathing the same air everyday for 2 months. So, I begged Levi to take me outside to the city for a little bit. Just when the night is so quiet, and the air was breezing for just a bit. The night sky would be clear and full of stars. A half moon would be hanging over us, giving us its moonlight for a little bit. 

"Alright, fine... just for tonight..." He says gently as he kisses me, holding my hand so tightly. "We can eat out tonight... whatever you want... as long as you can eat it..."

*   *   *

Levi and I walked around in the park for me to gather my breath. As he guided me on the paved path, I closed my eyes and breathed the fresh air. How the cold fresh air was as it filled my lungs. My hands slowly caressed my stomach, thinking of the twins that laid there. With the fresh air, I clearly thought about the babies' arrival in month time.

"I see that grin on your face, four-eyes..." I opened them and saw Levi looking up to me. His gray eyes were staring at me, so calmly and full of amusement. A smile tugged at his lips, nuzzling his head into my shoulder. One hand was, of course, holding me tightly as the other was on my stomach. "What are you thinking about?"

"Well, the babies. One's gonna be a girl, and the other is gonna be a boy. I wonder who's gonna be born first. Oh, and names. Don't get me started on the names. I just wonder..."

Levi chuckles softly, kissing my cheek. "Well, we still got time. It's just one month."

"One month can happen a lot quicker."

"I know, but time seems to fly slower when I'm with you..."

"Awe..."

Levi pulled us off the path for a bit, under a nearby streetlight. We both groaned softly in our kisses, not wanting to leave each other. We felt safe. Crickets were sounding as the moon watched over us. Those were the only noises we heard. Until we heard those crackling leaves under someone's feet. Levi and I pulled away from each other to see a wandering young woman. Her eyes were dull and just lost.

My motherly instincts popped in and I approached her with a smile. Levi shouts a word of caution, and I nodded to him. "Hey there... is something wrong?"

She looks up at me, and a small tear falls down her face. "Y-Yes..."

"What's wrong? Can you tell me?"

"You..."

"Eh?" I took a step back, trying to turn my head to Levi- but there was a sharp pain in my leg. I fell to the ground, crying out. "Gah!"

My hands quickly went to my leg, feeling something warm. My eyes were blurry immediately, and I saw the young woman again. "You took... Levi..." Seconds after her words, there was another quick, sharp pain- but it was in my left shoulder. Once more, I cried out.

"Hanji!" 

Everything seemed to be so slow... my life was put into slow-motion. My head grew dizzy, and I felt to the ground. With everything becoming so blurry, I only saw blobs. Levi came from behind me, pushing the woman to ground and calling for help on his phone. Seconds passed when Levi with the woman when he quickly came back to me. I felt more pain on my leg and shoulder, like he was pushing on it.

"I got you... I got you..." On the verge of tears, I heard pain in his voice. I wanted to raise my arm at him, raise my body up to him... but I was... too weak. "Hanji, I got you... stay strong with me... okay? Stay strong for me and the babies."

I tried to speak, but it was no good. I closed my eyes, but Levi scolded me for doing so. Mustering enough strength, I was able to move my hands to my stomach. Intense pain flared up and told me to stop moving. To stop and give up. I didn't give in into those urges. I stayed strong for Levi. For our unborn babies. Our hope... they wouldn't die.

Sirens filled the empty air, and I quickly was put into an ambulance. When Levi gave news about me being pregnant- me being the woman that would inherit his namesake... they rushed with the speed of light. Going in and out of consciousness, I heard about them suggesting a C-section as soon as we get to the hospital.

"N-No!"

"It's the only way..."

Levi's voice stayed silent, and I passed out after hearing that. 

Before I knew it, I was awake again- blinded by bright lights. Deafened by the shouting and beeping noises. I felt no pain. Levi was near me- running after me. My breathing grew heavy, and I tried to stay steady, but I couldn't. I was... so confused... everything was so quick- confusing. Where was I? What's going on? And the most important question: are my babies safe?