24: Fire with Fire

Art: The Mayan Riviera by Elizabeth Lennie

"Ready?"

A smirk formed on my lips, eyes trained on the sharp piece of metal in Suki's hand. "Hit me with your best shot."

A chuckle fell out of her mouth as a whimper came out of my sister's. "Is that really the best way to phrase that?"

I rolled my eyes as Suki just laughed.

"Don't worry, Katara, I won't do any serious damage," the warrior assured.

"Yeah, and you can heel me like you did that cut she already gave me." I eyed the Kyoshi Warrior, who gave a sheepish shrug as she held her hands up in defense.

Katara crossed her arms, a firm glare in her eyes. "I still don't like this."

"Will you all shut up," Zuko snapped. "Aang is getting distracted."

"Go to the back then, Prince Pouty," I countered. "We told you we'd be out here."

The prince's eyes lingered on my smirking face for a moment longer before glancing at Suki and the matte black knives in her hands. "Aang, let's take a break."

A string of laughter came out of my mouth as I watched him and the excited young boy scurry to the steps with the others.

When everyone had finally sat down, Suki brought her eyes back to me, her wicked smile still dancing across her face. "Are you ready?" Suki repeated.

"I already gave you an answer. Are all of you?" I questioned as I looked to our spectators.

"I sure as hell am," Toph exclaimed, excitement dripping off her tongue just as Katara whimpered and curled against Aang's back.

A grin spread across my face. "Let's go then."

Suki met my eyes, and I could hear her silent words question me. I lurched down into my starting position before giving her a nod.

"Okay, Toph," Suki prepared.

A slightly unsettling laugh escaped the small girl before she launched into action. As soon as Toph began to release the clay disks she had formed into the air, Suki began to set loose her barrage of throwing knives directed right at me.

I shot forward, hurdling under flying blades to snatch up my bow and quiver. I took a moment from the ground to aim up at the clay birds above my head. Before Suki could reposition her shots, I was on my feet and dodging every attempt once again.

Toph stopped letting go just one at a time and began to release two or three. I didn't bat an eyelash, only loading more arrows to take down all my targets.