28: Freedom

Art: Tropical Storm by Stephanie Cost

I tried to not scream as I watched Toph and Suki struggle to board an eel hound, both with clenched teeth as they held on desperately to the saddle. It was too similar.

It had been decided that Toph, Suki, and Sokka would go to the airship base. My father, Chit Sang, Haru, and I would tag along with Katara and Zuko to the Fire Nation capital – Teo, and The Duke would be staying behind in the White Lotus camp to help with supplies and transfer messages.

I was still deep in my thoughts, considering how long I should let my goodbye to Sokka linger. He wouldn't argue with me. I had already trained him to always say goodbye to me like it was the last time, the way warriors did. However, just because he wouldn't argue himself didn't mean he wouldn't attempt to get others to argue on his behalf. I could only imagine Suki's reaction to my acceptance of my fate.

"Kida," even deep in my thoughts, I could recognize who had called me in an instant. I turned to the man I had desperately prayed hadn't died. I could only imagine what he'd say to me now if he knew what I was thinking.

"Yes, Iroh?" I forced my best smile onto my face but doubted that it was believable.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" he questioned quietly enough that no one else could hear.

My brow furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"I know which prison you're going to," he spoke before I had even finished my own words.

I straightened instantly. "I-I know." I wasn't trying to keep it a secret. There was only one prison in the Fire Nation capital after all, but why did it feel like he meant something more?

He shook his head. "We both know there's more than one," he said as if he could read my thoughts.

"How do you-?"

"Kida..." He placed a heavy hand on my shoulder. He urged my eyes to meet his. "Horrible things happened to you there, I can only imagine. Are you sure you can go back?"

My jaw tensed, and I could feel my eyes burn as wet anger formed at their brim. "No," I admitted, shaking my head back and forth.

"You don't have to," he pressed.

"No," I said again, finally meeting his eyes. "I do. I need to go back. If I'm going to be better, I need to go back." My eyes traveled through the crowd until they land on Zuko, who was speaking to my siblings. "I need to face it. I don't want to hate myself anymore."

He swallowed hard. He knew I was right too. However, he also knew how fragile I was.

A heavy sigh left his mouth, and he nodded slowly. I thought he was going to release my shoulders, but instead, he yanked me forward. His hold was far stronger than it once was, muscle replacing his softness. However, it was the same warm embrace I once knew. I wanted to break down, feeling his arms around me.