29: Through the Ice

Art: Hands by Tony Belobrajdic

I barreled down the edge of the volcanic crater.

The chilling foreboding that paralyzed me had been struck down by the faux electricity in my body. Boiling heat once again brewed in my veins and pushed my muscles to their max.

The ice was becoming thinner under my feet.

My lungs burned, but the adrenaline kept me from caring. All I cared about was getting to the palace. I didn't know who had been hurt at the time, but I knew it wasn't good.

It wasn't long until I entered the city. People were everywhere. Many looked to be out in an attempt to witness what was going on at the palace. Only blue flames puffed in the air now. Others were enjoying the influence of the comet.

I didn't fit in, and people noticed. At first, they tried to stop me. However, as everything from barrels to teacups of liquid exploded behind my every step, they eventually got out of my way.

The palace gates were closed, but with one sweep of my arm, I made stairs up and over the walls.

Surprisingly, upon entering, there was very little in the way of defense – as if there were no more guards. I didn't think about it at the time. I just kept moving.

I already figured out where they were and took the quickest route through the grounds to the palace's private courtyard.

The air was heavy with the scent of smoke wherever I went, but it grew increasingly more pungent the closer I got to the back.

Silence rang in my ears like the most deafening explosion had gone off. I had finally made it out into the disaster zone. Every roof simmered with orange flames. Ice slicked the steps across the yard. Scorch marks spotted the ground with no intended pattern.

It felt as if it took me hours to finally comprehend what was happening in front of me. I became aware once my eyes caught movement straight across from where I stood.

There was a large ice block, but the inside looked to be liquid as something moved around. Before I knew it, a loud slushing sound filled the air, and all of the water melted instantaneously, rushing down into a grate below.

A pair of gasps flew through the air next. All of the fear in my body seemed to rush out upon hearing those sharp intakes of breath.

The ice below my feet rapidly gained another layer, solidifying the surface.

I recognized my sister as one of the people, falling to her knees on the metal grid before turning her attention to the other person. It was Azula. And, by the clanking sound of chains, I knew Katara had taken care of her.

A smile started to form on my mouth as my relief replaced the panic.