Chapter 11

For the record, when I wrote this I was really tired. Thank you very much for pointing out my mistakes. I actually mixed up some characters from a different story... Oops! I fixed it though. If you see Annabelle, I mean Leigh. If you see Miranda, I mean Amanda. Once again, so sorry! Thank you!

Enjoy!!

Chapter Eleven

Once I'm out of the vent I look to my father. He stands there by the door most likely blocking it in case I decide to run for it. I look around the room, hoping for a weapon of some sort, but find something else quite a bit more useful than a weapon.

A window.

More importantly, an open window.

Apparently my dad doesn't notice since he didn't bother to shut it or lock it. He just continues to guard the door.

I mentally map out the house. Right now I'm in the guest room on the second floor. It should be on the right side of the house if you're looking at it from the front. In fact, this is the room Blade stays in. For some reason, the thought makes me blush.

It's not exactly a long drop to the ground, just rather shocking. I know it would look a lot higher if I looked out the window and the plan is to not look at all. Besides, Miranda's car should be in the driveway and that will either makes things easier or harder. I guess it really depends how I land.

"Did you miss me, baby girl?" he asks. He starts walking towards me and I back up, trying to get as close to the window as possible, but also trying to make sure he doesn't realize what I'm doing.

"Of course, daddy." My voice is sickly sweet and I smile. I know it'll only make him angrier, I just can't stop myself from provoking him. If he can hurt me, why can't I piss him off? Oh, wait. I can!

As expected his face turns down into a scowl. "Watch how you talk to me, girl. I can make your life hell."

"You already have." I spit back and his face turns red. This probably isn't one of my smartest ideas.

I hear pounding on the door then and muted voices shouting from the other side. It's hard to make out what they're saying since they're all talking at the same time. I hear Greg and Amanda and... yep, there it is. Blade. He's here.

"So whose the boy, girl?" I cringe at his name for me. The only time he ever calls me Leigh is when he's looking for me around the house. I hide often and he always finds me. One day, I'm going to be an expert hide-and-seek player. Just thinking of how long it'll take them to find me almost brings a smile to my face. Almost.

"It's none of your business." I say, but my voice is calm now. Icy.

"It is my business when a random boy is hanging around my girl." he tells me. His girl? Oh, I am so not his girl. I'm no one's girl.

"Excuse me? Since when have you ever looked out for me? Since when have you ever been there for me? You never help me! All you do is hurt me and I'm sick of it!" I scream the words at him and he looks stunned for a moment, only a moment. I know it's not my words that throw him off, but how loud my voice is. I've never once yelled at my father and now I wonder why.

He stalks over to me and before I have the chance to react, slams his fist into my face.

I reel backwards and fall against the wall, hitting my head in the process. The world starts spinning and the pounding on the door grows louder, or maybe that's just me. The voices on the other side have become frantic, but I notice one voice is missing. Who isn't there? I can't tell with the massive pain in my head.

"I said watch how you talk to your father." He kicks me in the stomach and I double over. Pain blossoms and I'm sure he's ruptured something.

More pain. On the side of my head this time. Doesn't he realize what he's doing? Doesn't he realize that he might just be killing me?