Chapter 4 - Target Brand Gummy Bears

Sophie:

"There you are! We were getting worried," Marella says as I walk up.

"What took you so long?" Biana asks from her perch on the end of the cart that Linh claimed.

"Um, let's just say that a car is smarter than me," I say, not wanting to tell the full truth.

"Okay, well, you have problems you need to sort out," Linh laughs at me, "But in the meantime, let's go shopping!"

We all cheer, which earns some stares from shoppers, but I try not to pay attention. Linh pushes the cart forwards, and almost launches Biana back into the cart. I laugh at Biana, who looks like she saw her life flash before her eyes, and we make our way to the only important aisles(in my opinion) - the food aisles.

"Okay, Soph and Marella, go get candy. Bi and I will get some chips and other stuff."

"Aye aye, Captain," I say with a mock salute. Marella takes my hand, dragging me down the aisle.

"I'll get chocolate, you get sweet? K?" she asks, already grabbing a huge bag of M&M's. I roll my eyes at her, but go and grab my all time favorite candy.

Target brand gummy bears.

As I go to grab the last bag, someones hand closes on top of mine. I pull it back quickly, and start to tell the other person they can have it, when I lock eyes with them.

Keefe.

He opens his mouth like he wants to say something, but he closes it. My Soulmate Mark burns even stronger than when we were in the car, and I clamp my hand over it. Keefe walks away without a word, and maybe I'm imagining things, but it looked like he was rubbing his right arm, where all boys have their Soulmate Marks.

Part of me wants to say something, but then I notice he didn't take the gummy bears with him.

Score. I grab the bag, and a big bag of Sour Patch Watermelon, before heading back to the cart. I throw my candy in to join the pile of M&M's, mini Kit-Kats, tortilla chips, and Sour Cream & Onion Pringles.

"Really, Soph? Target brand? Were there no more Haribro?" Biana asks, picking up my gummy bears before tossing them lamely back in the cart.

"Okay, first of all, don't disrespect Target brand like that. And second, I didn't look because I didn't want Haribro." Biana rolls her eyes at me, and I flick her arm. "Tonight I'm going to show you a whole new world of sugary snacks. You'll never be the same again, I promise."

"Promise or threaten?" Linh whispers loud enough for me to hear, and Biana snorts. I roll my eyes at my friends.

"Okay, well, now that we've discussed Sophie's interesting taste in food, let's go get the one more thing needed for sleepovers - face masks!" Surprisingly, it's Marella that says that, but none of us argue. We head to the opposite end of the store, where all the self care stuff is.

We all browse together, and eventually get a container with a blue peel-off mask, and a few applicator brushes.

Once we check out and get to the car(with me in shotgun this time) my arm starts to burn more than ever.

"Sophie, I don't think that's normal," Linh comments as I rub my arm, trying to ease the pain.

"Wow, you think?" I say through gritted teeth. Thankfully the pain subsides after a few minutes, leaving it at a dull throb once we reach Biana's house.

Compared to the little apartment I live in, Biana's home is a mansion. It's three stories tall, with a basement, and two of the floors are not necessary. The main floor has the normal things - kitchen, dining room, living room. The second floor has the bedrooms, a master, and three others. Only two are occupied, as Fitz and Biana's older brother, Alvar, is at college for something I can't remember. The third floor is for their parents guests, and I've never been allowed up there. Finally, the basement is for sleepovers, with half of the room for Fitz's friends, and half for Biana's. Most of the time, Biana doesn't even use it, unless we want to watch a movie or something.

We all walk in, each carrying our own respective snacks, when Marella asks something that surprises me.

"If the boys are okay with it, can we all use the downstairs rooms tonight? This is silly, but I miss being friends with Dex, and I'd like to get closer to his new friends."

"Um, that's a weird request, but sure. That doesn't mean the boys will want to, though."

"Yeah, I know. I don't see why they won't though." Everyone else seems to be fine with this plan, but I'm frozen with fear.

I don't know if I'll be able to make it through another night with Keefe Sencen. Just the thought of being in the same room with him brings back the memory of my old favorite night ever.
~
"It's kind of late, should I head to my own tent?" Keefe asked, starting to sit up. He and Sophie had been laying in her tent, talking about everything and anything.

"Ouch. Why would you want to leave me? I'm awesome." Sophie tried to flip her hair, but it was hard when she was on her side. Keefe rolled his eyes at her.

"You've been spending too much time with me."

"Why is that a bad thing?" Sophie smiled at him, before breaking into a huge yawn. Keefe smiled back at her before doing the same.

"It's really not a problem. I can go to my tent. I think we should both get some sleep." Keefe started to get up, when Sophie grabbed his hand and pulled him back down.

"Or you can stay here until you're kicked out."

Keefe grinned. "I'm okay with that."

Sophie smiled back at him, and then watched Keefe close his eyes. He must've been more tired than he let on, because his grip on her hand loosened, and his face relaxed. Once his breathing evened out, Sophie closed her own eyes, and fell asleep with her hand still enclosed in Keefe's.

Sophie woke up the next morning to the sun in her face. When she rolled over, she saw Keefe still asleep, and thanked her parents. I have the best friend ever.
~
I hate that memory now.