Chapter 9 - Uno Reverse Card

Sophie:

I pace the hall, glancing down the stairs. I asked Keefe if we could talk, and then left immediately. He didn't follow me, so now I'm worried I made the wrong decision. Just as I'm about to call it quits, he walks up the stairs. 

"What's up?" Keefe asks, leaning against the wall. I turn to face him. 

"I'm sorry."

"For?" he trails off. I stare at him in disbelief.

"For? For being a total jerk." I sit on the ground, cross legged. I look up at him, watching as he walks over to where I'm sitting. He plops down in front of me, but still far away enough to give me space.

"You weren't a jerk."

"I don't know what you're thinking about, but I told you to die. That's not something a non-jerk does."

"Look, Sophie, I get it. Both of our emotions were running crazy. You lost control, I lost control. I think it's safe to say that this whole mess ended differently than either of us thought it would."

"You can say that again," I mumble under my breath. Keefe raises an eyebrow at me, probably expecting me to explain myself, but I just ignore him.

"I don't know what you just said, but I'm just gonna pretend I agree."

"What if I said something mean about you?" The words fall from my mouth much more playful than I expected them too.

"Then I say," he pauses for dramatic effect. "Uno Reverse Card!" He pulls his phone out of his pocket, and flashes the back to me. A blue Uno Reverse Card sits in his case.

"You're kidding." I take his phone, and pull the card out.

"Hey! That's for emergencies. Put it back." Keefe smirks at me, and I can't even believe whats happening.

"You really haven't changed at all. I think I'm gonna keep this now." I tuck the card into my pocket, and hand Keefe his phone.

"Foster, give the card back." Keefe holds out his hand and puts on a mean face. I can't help but laugh. He looks more like a pouty little kid.

"What did I say about calling me Foster?" I fold my arms, and start to stand. I walk towards the basement stairs, but get tripped by Keefe.  As I struggle to stand, he wrestles me to the floor again. I try to push him off, but don't get very lucky.

"Give it back." Keefe smirks, standing over me, probably trying to intimidate me. I roll my eyes. How does this always happen with Keefe? Even when we were younger, I'd be mad at him, and fifteen minutes later we'd be laughing.
~~
"Keefe Sencen you disgusting brat!" Sophie shouted, stamping her foot. They were in third grade, and Keefe had just stolen Sophie's brownie right out of her lunchbox.

"Come and get it, Foster." He waved the treat teasingly in the air. Sophie huffed in annoyance as she reached for her brownie. He pulled his arm back, and stood up on the chair. No one in the cafeteria payed attention to them. Sophie stomped up on the bench next to him.

"Give me my brownie!" She jumped for it, but it was just out of her reach. He'd always been taller than her, that was for sure.

"Splitsies?" he offered. Sophie sat down hard on the bench, and stared up at him with her arms crossed.

"You can have a quarter of it." Keefe sat down too, and got really close to her face.

"Pretty please?" he sang, batting his eyelashes. Sophie couldn't help but let a giggle escape as she shoved him away.

"Brat." He handed her the brownie, and to Keefe's delight, Sophie split it in half.
~~
"I'm only asking one more time before I take matters into my own hand. Give it back?" Keefe reaches his hand down, and I slap it. "Okay, that's it!" Keefe reaches down, and before I know it, his hands are at my side, tickling me.

"STOP! OH MY GOSH KEEFE STOP!" I scream, rolling on the floor. Surprisingly, his hands leave my side, but we're left in a more awkward position, for me at least.

At some point while Keefe was attacking me, he ended up straddling my body. He wasn't really leaning onto me at all, but it still made me wildly uncomfortable. Keefe seemed to notice the position too, because he cleared his throat and moved.

"Um, sorry." He ran a hand through his hair, looking anywhere but me.

"It's fine. Here, I think this is yours." I hand him the card. Our hands brush, and my eyes glance not-so-subtly at his arm, where my words are written in a bold black.

One more thing I'm going to have to figure out.

"You both still alive?" Linh calls from downstairs.

"Yep! Coming right now!" I call back. We run down the stairs, and Biana folds her arms.

"You too finally decide not to kill each other?" I glance at Keefe, and am surprised to see him looking at me, too.

"Yep," he responds. He gives me a tiny wink as he looks away.

"About time. We can finally start this party!" Marella cheers.