Chapter 14 - "I lied."

A/N: So I know this is supposed to alternate but I really wanted to do this chapter in Sophie's POV for no reason other than the fact that I felt like it. But hey, I'm the author! I can do what I want! I also changed the ages so basically Fitz is 17, Sophie, Keefe, and Linh are 16, and Dex, Biana, and Marella are 15. Okay byee, MUAH!
Sophie:

It's like everything in my life is finally falling into place. Keefe's sitting right next to me, no awkwardness between us, and I'm watching one of my favorite movies surrounded by all my friends.

I keep toying with the idea of making a move--doing something to get Keefe's attention--but he does it before I can. He "stretches," and wraps his left arm around my shoulder.

"Is this too much?" he asks, looking at me. His face isn't cocky or confident like I'd think, but instead it's got a softer look to it.

"Nope. But is this?" I lean my head on his shoulder; my heart tightens and his shoulder tenses, but neither of us move.

"Perfect," Keefe whispers softly. There's a sort of sweetness in his voice that I haven't heard in a long time, and it's something I definitely miss. Butterflies swirl in my stomach as I reach for his hand. He tenses even more than when I put my head on his shoulder, but he doesn't pull away. Instead, he runs his thumb lightly back and forth over the back of my hand.

I feel like everything might work between us after all. If he's not pushing me away, and I'm making moves, maybe tomorrow I can tell him what I want.
That I want to be more than friends.

It's bizarre to think that just earlier today I practically told Keefe to die. Now we're basically cuddling.
Funny how a few hours can change everything.

I'm not quite sure when it happens, but before the movie ends I fall asleep—safe and surrounded by Keefe Sencen. And all my other friends too. But mostly Keefe Sencen.
~~
I wake up a little disoriented. The room's completely dark, even though something inside me is telling me it's very early morning. Which means I only got a few hours of sleep.

I'm the only one awake. I know that for a fact. I can hear someone snoring lightly, probably Dex.

Keefe and I are just as close as we were when I fell asleep. His arm is still wrapped around my shoulder, and his hand is still in mine. Now, his head also rests on on top of mine. I can feel his shoulders rise and fall slowly, and it makes me want to close my eyes again and sleep there wrapped in him forever.

But then I remember why I woke up; surprise surprise, it's my bladder telling me to go. Now.

Now how to get out of Keefe without waking him up? I don't think there's a way. Still, I want to do this as gently as I can. I pull my hand out of his first, and he doesn't move. So far, so good. Now comes the tricky part. I decide that the best way to do this is just to move fast. I sit forward, and Keefe inhales sharply.

"Foster, what're you doing?" he mumbles, rubbing his eyes.

"I'm going to the bathroom. I'll be back."

"Don't take too long." He smirks at me as I stand up, still looking half-asleep. I shake my head lightly as I move to the bathroom.

There's a clock in the bathroom, and it reads 5:27. Too early to be awake for how late I went to bed, but there's nothing I can do about it. 

As I wash my hands, I can't help but feel this nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach. And it has to do with Keefe. Part of me wants to tell him how I really feel, but part of me's too scared to tell him. 

I stare myself in the mirror, watching my reflection. It looks scared, but also hopeful. 

I know what I have to do.

I leave the bathroom, and my heart races. Keefe's eyes meet mine, and he smiles softly. Part of me is having second thoughts, but I know that I need to do this. It's not fair to leave Keefe in the dark. Even if I leave the rest of my friends in it. 

I sit down on the couch next to Keefe, and his arm wraps around my shoulder. 

"I-uh-Keefe." I push his arm off my shoulder lightly, and turn to face him, "I have something I need to talk to you about."

"Yeah, Foster, anything." He takes my hands, and he looks concerned for me. My stomach knots itself as I look down, before looking up again. Our eyes meet, and I feel warmth spreading across my face. 

"It's really important. Like, extremely important."

"Stop stalling, Foster. Get to it." He laughs softly.

"How many times do I have to tell you to stop calling me Foster?"

"How many times am I going to tell you to stop stalling? You can tell me anything, Sophie." I bite my lower lip, and the words spill out.

"I lied. I don't want to be friends. I want to be more than friends. I'm starting to really like you." Keefe's eyes widen, and he squeezes my hands.

"Foster, are you serious?"

"I'm serious about you not calling me Foster." I bite my lip again, and Keefe runs his thumb along the back of my hand.

"Fine. Sophie, are you serious?"

"Of course I'm serious, Keefe. If you're okay with it, I mean." I find myself chewing on my bottom lip again. Keefe pulls one of his hands out of mine, and brushes my cheek lightly.

"Of course I'm okay with it. And you know, you probably shouldn't bite your lip so much. You'll make yourself bleed." I blush.

"It's better than pulling my eyelashes out, right?"

"Oh my god that was terrible. I don't know how you did it. I still don't." I laugh softly, and I get hit by another round of exhaustion.

"You know, Keefe, I haven't had much sleep tonight, and no one else is awake. Can I go back to sleep?"

"Of course." We move back into the same position we were in before, and I close my eyes.

It feels different this time, with the knowledge that things will finally start to move forward between Keefe and I.