Chapter 5 - "Dude. Awkward."

Quick A/N: So I realized that the last two chapters were Sophie, when it was supposed to alternate, so now the next two are Keefe! Yay! Okay that's it bye ly all go readddd! MUAH!

Keefe:

"Biana just texted me," Fitz says, pulling out his phone as we stop at a red light.

"What did she say?" Dex asks, leaning forward, trying to get closer to us.

"She asked if we all wanted to do one big sleepover," I say quietly, reading over Fitz's shoulder.

"I'd be okay with it," Dex says, and Fitz shrugs.

"It's down to you, Keefe. What do you think?" Fitz asks me, putting his phone away as the light turns green.

What do I think? I think I want to run away screaming at that idea. I don't know if I can handle the awkward tension that's growing between me and Sophie, but I don't think I have a choice.

"I guess that's fine."

"It's settled then. Keefe, you have Biana's number, right?" Once he gets my confirmation, he continues, "Can you text her that we're down? Also maybe ask her what she has planned?"

I pull out my phone, and scroll through all my contacts to find Biana's number.

Female Fitzy

ME
fitz just told me you guys want to do a group
sleepover?

Female Fitzy
yep!

ME
so what does that entail?

Female Fitzy
well sharing the food we all bought, watching
a movie? and playing games. Also, we bought
a container of face mask stuff 😏

ME
that sounds good and all, but there is NO WAY
you're putting a face mask on me.

Female Fitzy
pleaaaaaseeee 🥺🥺🥺

Female Fitzy
not even for your BEST friends little sis???🥺

ME
ugh, fine. (you suck, btw)

ME
are you guys at the house?

Female Fitzy
yep! how far away are you guys?

ME
about ten minutes away. see you then, I guess

Female Fitzy
be prepared to look pretty😏😏

I put my phone down, and roll my eyes intensely.

"What'd she say?" Dex asks, leaning over my shoulder and scaring me.

"She said that they're at the house. Oh, and be warned. The girls bought a face mask."

"Can't only one person use those?" Fitz asks.

"Unless you get a container full of it. Then no."

"Great." Dex sinks back into the seat.
~~
"Took you long enough," Biana pops a hand on her hip when I fling open the door.

"Sorry that I don't meet your standards," I roll my eyes, and give her an awkward side hug. I pass by her as she hugs Fitz and Dex. I notice that she holds on to Dex for maybe a second to long

"Where's everyone else?" Dex asks.

"They're downstairs. I can take you guys down if you want."

"I'll meet you guys down there. Dex, take the food down?" Fitz hands off the bag, and runs up the stairs. Biana turns around and gives me and Dex her classic smirk before walking the opposite way.

She leads us down the stairs, to a room I've been in multiple times. It's their "sleepover room" but only Fitz uses it. Dex and Biana are in front, and while they go in without hesitation, I find myself waiting.

From my viewpoint on the stairs, I can see that the thin sheet that usually separates the two sides has been torn down; Fitz and Biana's couches have been pushed together to make half a rectangle. I can see Linh and Marella, who have a bag of tortilla chips between them, which they're crunching loudly. Marella turns her head, and her smile brightens as she waves at me. Then, she seems to realize who I am, and her face falls. I awkwardly lift my arm in a wave as I enter all the way into the room.

And there she is.

Sophie Foster.

For a second she looks carefree. She has a bright smile on her face, and she has the bag of gummy bears that I was going for in her hand. She laughs at something Marella whispers to her, and rips one of the bear's heads off. 

She looks as perfect as I remember, and suddenly I'm regretting what I did so many years ago. I want to stand there forever, watch her laugh and smile, pretend that it's with me, but then our eyes meet.

Her face falls instantly. And so does mine. 

"Hey Marella. Hey Linh," I say with an awkward wave. They wave back to me, and Linh forces a smile on her face.

"Hi, Keefe. Long time no see," Marella says through gritted teeth. My eyes turn to Sophie, and I open my mouth, but there's a warning in her eyes. Suddenly my right arm starts to burn, right were my soulmate mark is. I grab it discreetly, rubbing my arm, trying to ease the pain. That's when I notice that Sophie's doing the exact same thing to her left arm.

"So, Soph, how do you think you did on the math test?" Linh asks loudly.

"We're not in the same math class," Sophie whispers, utterly confused. I'm a little confused too, but I walk down the stairs and head to where Dex is standing.

"Dude. Awkward," he mutters to me, and I nod my head in agreement.

"Yeah, I know. This is gonna be a long night."