Chapter 7 - Fix This Giant Freaking Mess

Sophie:

I can't believe I just did that. I don't even look at Keefe as I walk away. Instead of going down to the basement I head out to the backyard, plopping myself down on the porch swing that hangs out back. My legs cross and my head sinks into my hand as my brain comprehends what just happened.

I just told Keefe Sencen to die.

My brain then decides to play fun torture and map out a future we could've had if he didn't take my heart and crush it on that one day. That terrible day.
~~
They were 12 years old when they knew they were soulmates. Sophie turned 12 at the very end of the school day, and Keefe came running up to her the minute the words appeared on her arm.

"Is it me?" he asked with a wide smile on his face. Sophie didn't say anything, but threw her arms around him.

"I love you," she whispered into his neck.

"It is you!" He spun her around giddily, and she squealed with laughter. Both of their words turned a solid black in their arms, and they were proud to have it so young.

It was so the first time she'd said I love you non-platonically.
~~
They were 13 when they applied for the same high school. Both laying on his bed, picking classes together so they could be around each other as much as possible. Sophie had just done something stupid, and Keefe became overwhelmed with affection for this girl he was going to spend the rest of his life with. So, impulsively, he kissed her on the cheek. They'd already had their first kiss, but they both agreed that one didn't count, and the next one had to be extra special.
~~
They were 14 when he asked her to homecoming. It was during a passing period, and they were walking together hand in hand. He was talking about skipping a grade, and she was coaxing him not to. Suddenly the topic changed, and he asked her. Nothing flashy, just how she liked it. Of course she said yes.
~~
They were 15 when they had their first official date. He took her to the movies, and they ate their weight in popcorn and candy. Afterwords he took her star gazing, but most of the gazing he did was at her face. They fell asleep on the grassy hill together and woke to a gorgeous sunrise. It reminded her of their first kiss, in the tent together. It reminded him of how lucky he was to get a soulmate like her.
~~
They were 16 when they had their first kiss again. It was on their one year anniversary, on the same date as they'd done a year prior. Instead of falling asleep on the hill, they fell asleep in the bed of his truck. They woke up again to a gorgeous sunrise, and both of them couldn't believe they had gotten so lucky with each other.
~~
A single tear rolls down my cheek as I rip myself out of my daydream. It seems to be more of a day-nightmare. The door to the house opens, and I rub my face, scrubbing any tears that leaked out away. Dex steps through the doors, and sits down next to me on the bench.

"Is it okay I if asked what happened?" He places a hand gently on my leg, and I place mine over top it.

"I guess," I sniffle, rubbing my eye.

"So..."

"I told him to die."

"You did what?!" Dex stands up abruptly, fear and shock dancing in his periwinkle eyes.

"I was so frustrated, Dex!" The tears are starting to flow freely, "He wanted to pretend nothing had happened, and I couldn't cope with the fact that he'd stepped on my heart and wanted it back again! I kept saying that soulmates can change, and he kept adding that only if someone dies, which is true. I got so worked up that it just slipped out!"

"Woah, Sophie. Slow down. How exactly did you tell him to die?" He wraps me in a hug gently, rubbing my back, and I wrap my arms tightly around him.

"I-I-I. We kept going back and forth on the whole soulmate can change but only if someone dies thing. I probably said it one too many times for him, because he snapped at me, and basically screamed that soulmates only change when people die. I just got so mad because I knew that but that didn't change the fact that that's what I wanted, so I said that maybe he should do that." During my explanation we ended up sitting on the bench facing each other. Dex wraps his arms around me again, and I cry into his shoulder. We sit like that for a while, when the door opens again. It's Fitz and Biana, and they both look pissed.

"You need to come back," Biana says, crossing her arms.

"Both of you," Fitz adds.

"Sophie what did you say?"

"Keefe's a mess. Sophie what did you do?" Fitz demands.

"I may or may not have accidentally on purpose told him to die.

"You did what?!" They both exclaim at the same time. I explain to them, and while Biana seems to understand, Fitz looks even more mad.

"I don't care if you were worked up. My best friend won't talk to me and it's your fault. You need to fix it. I don't care if he hates you, I just need him talking to me. Understand? So you're gonna go back in that room, and your gonna fix this giant freaking mess that you've created." Fitz storms off, leaving the air outside thick and uncomfortable. Dex follows him shortly after. It's just me and Biana, who also leaves quickly, but at least she flashes me a sympathetic smile.

What am I going to do.