Epilogue

Three Years Later

"Just say the word and we can go right back to the hotel," Mia told him as she stared up at her parent's house.

Her father hadn't invited either of them to the Christmas party two months after they left. He hadn't invited them to the one after either, though at least that year he'd been willing to join in on her and her mother's weekly phone calls. The year after that, he'd invited her, but not Adam. She'd declined, however, deciding to only go if he allowed Adam to escort her.

This was the first year he'd been on the invitation, sort of. Her father hadn't used his actual name on the written invite, but it was clearly meant for him.

This was also the first year without either of his parents in attendance as his mother died three months prior. She'd seen her dad the year before when he came to visit her with her mom, but her he had refused to see Adam during that trip. At Adam's mother's funeral, they did their best to make amends.

It was the closest they'd ever get to friendship, but Adam didn't mind the permanent loss of it. He'd thought he'd lose a hell of a lot more than that if they were ever together, so he considered only one tainted relationship to be a win.

"No point in wasting that gold dress of yours," Adam replied, giving her a slow once over.

Mia's skin flushed at his calculating gaze. "But at the hotel, you'd get to take it off of me."

A sly smile took over Adam's face, causing lengthy lines to form. "I could do that here too," he countered. "Truth was, that's what I wanted last time we both found ourselves here. It took all my self control not to bend you over your father's desk when you were yelling at me in his study."

Mia placed her hand on his knee, then allowed it to travel upward, feeling his erection twitch beneath her touch. "There're all sorts of tables at the hotel."

"And we'll christen every one of them... tomorrow." With those words, Adam got out of the driver's seat and went around the car to open her door, holding out his hand for her to take.

Mia pushed out her lower lip in a pout, but took his hand and lifted herself out of the car, taking small steps in her three inch sparkly gold heels; a poor decision given all the snow and small patches of ice and one she was foolish enough to make every damn time.

"You ready for some side glances and whispers?" Adam asked her once they reached the door.

Mia rested her back against the stone wall next to the door, feeling droplets of snow fall down her back. The cold never bothered her much, she just didn't like the ice and crappy roads that came with winter.

Many of these people she hadn't seen since his mother's funeral and they were hardly lovey dovey that day. But she knew that no matter what size the town that gossip would always run rampant and she was sure when Adam had kissed her in a room full of people before fleeing the house caused quite a stir.

But they'd dealt with those side glances and whispers plenty over the last three years, seeing she would turn thirty-two this year while he would hit fifty.

"I'm always ready," Mia said with a sly smile, then grabbed at his tie and pulled him closer.

"Your mom's about to give me a hug and I'd rather not have an erection during that time." Still, Adam gave her a soft kiss, then another.

After three years, Mia would have thought she'd grow used to his kisses. But she'd waited so long for him to kiss her this way that she realized now she'd never get enough. Mia had spent twenty years being in love with this man and she was still in awe over the fact she had him.