Chpt 5

Amani's POV:

August 16, 1981

Providence, Rhode Island was next on the agenda. Michael and his brothers were preparing for another 2 hour show at the Providence Civic Center, the days seemed to drag by. The life of a entertainer certainly wasn't glamorous as everyone made it, I now had a new respect for any performer that genuinely loved this job and nothing else. You had to be a special person to do it and do it bigger and better, get it done with all the grueling hours without batting an eye.

During this time all the Jackson brother's invited either their latest significant other, or wives. I knew it had to be thoroughly uncomfortable for Michael ,considering him proposing the idea of us becoming a more believable couple. He claimed we weren't even going through the motions, that we lacked that shine. Seeing as how that everyone had been made to believe such a scandal about us, he said we had to play the part until he could figure out the reasoning behind everything. So that's what I did I played the part to the best of my ability...well far as I knew how.  The only things I knew about relationships were from old movies, and a couple of Romance Novels.

"Hi." Someone said from the left side of the leather sofa I was sitting on. At some point during the whole hustle and bustle of the night I was escorted to a spacious waiting room with three other young ladies. Neither had said a word to me, or made a move so I just sat quietly off to the side.  So imagine my surprise when I heard a actual voice and it was a friendly one at that.

"Hello." I said with an unsure tone. She did like a slight squint with her eyes but continued. "My name is Delores,  but everyone calls me De-."
"Dee-Dee." I said finishing her sentence gently, I knew of her I had heard her name  around but never really investigated. "Yeah that's right." She said smiling big at me, while reaching her hand out for me to shake it. I slowly shook her hand before retracting it back quickly. After standing for a couple seconds she swiftly made her way over to the right side of me to sit on the sofa with me leaving just a small space between us. Turning slowly in her direction, I prepared myself for some kind of conversation that I was  sure coming.

"So I'm not exactly sure , but your here with Michael right?" She asked with slight confusion in her voice.

"Yeah I am". I replied looking down to my lap while readjusting the  peach handkerchief dress over my legs, that I wore just for tonights event.

 I replied looking down to my lap while readjusting the  peach handkerchief dress over my legs, that I wore just for tonights event

"Oh how sweet, I'm so happy he found someone that he's interested in. I just knew all the times I've traveled with the brother's during a couple  cities and a country or two-" She said giggling slightly before continuing. "- that he seemed lonely like an outcast to a certain degree and the brother's never made it easy on him. So you can imagine my excitement for you guy's and well everyone else's... shock." She says taking a breath after her long statement. I just nodded in understanding but didn't give a explanation of any sort. Michael said it wasn't anyone's business about the truth anymore, no matter how many times you state the truth people seemed to make up their own minds about things. So I said nothing and just listened, she sure did like to talk. But I did redirect the conversation.