7

I wake with a headache.

Groaning, I raise a hand to my face and realise I'm still lying almost on top of Newt. Careful not to wake him, I sit up and rub my eyes. The doors are already open, and the sun is pretty high in the sky.

"Bloody hell." I say underneath my breath.

"That's my curse word." Comes a voice from my left. I look down to see Newt shading his eyes against the sun, lying on the ground.

"Did I wake you up? I'm sorry I tried not to." I say, and he laughs.

"Nah, I was already awake, just didn't want to disturb you."

"O-oh." I say, feeling my cheeks heat up.

"We should get breakfast," he says, and I jump on the change of subject.

"Yes, yes we should." I stand up, the reach down to help Newt. He pulls me into him and I wrap my arms around his waist.

"I like that you're shorter than me," he says, and I laugh a little.

"Why's that?"

"Because I can do this," he says, kissing the top of my head. I laugh again before pulling away and heading off with him to get breakfast.

When we get over to the kitchen, Frypan grabs two plates of eggs and toast, handing them to us and grinning.

"What?" I say grouchily, and he grins wider.

"You guys really took your time waking up,"

I shake my head. "Why didn't someone come and get us?"

"Well we sent Chuck to go get you, but he said y'all was too cute to wake up, so we left you there."

"Thanks a bunch," Newt grumbles and Frypan puts his hands in the air before rushing to the stove.

"I saved you some coffee too, you look like you need it." He pours the stuff into two cups and we accept it, then go and sit down on the ground.

"I drank too much," I say as I finish my toast.

"Mmm," Newt agrees through a mouthful of coffee.

"Morning (Y/N), Newt." Chuck has appeared from the side of the homestead and is coming towards us.

"Hello Chuck," I take a sip of coffee.

"So," he says brightly, "what is it that I can do today?"

"You can let us finish our breakfast for a start," Newt says, and I smile at Chuck to show he's only joking.

"Right," the kid says.

"I'm sure Gally and his builders could use some help, they're fixing up the homestead." The homestead has gotten progressively larger and more unstable over time, and is now a three-story structure resembling a tree house. We don't use it much, but when we do it serves as a kind of sick bay, a council room, and a storage facility depending on the occasion.

"Right on it (Y/N)," Chuck says happily, "you can count on Chucky!"

"Ok," I nod, and go back to my coffee.

"I see what you mean," says Newt, "nice kid."

"Yeah," I agree, "he is."

We work in the gardens all day, as usual, although everyone seems to have heard about last night because they keep giving us odd looks. It's pretty annoying actually.

Dinner is roasted vegetables with a chicken apparently one of them had stopped laying. It makes me a little sad when we have to kill one of our animals, but sometimes it's necessary. Everything must be kept in order and running smoothly to function in the Glade.

As always, I sit with Newt, Alby, and Minho, although tonight we have the added company of Chuck. The kid's great, he makes us all laugh and is genuinely really nice. He reminds me of a little brother.

As we do every night, we light a small fire in the pile of ash and charcoal that was the bonfire last night just as the doors close. We put one large log on it once it gets going and watch it burn, it lasts most of the night.

I sit between Newt's legs, his arms wrapped around me from behind and his chin on my shoulder.

We stay that way for a long time, staring into the fire and occasionally whispering while the other Gladers either go to the spots where they sleep, or fall asleep right there. Everything is still and quiet, except for the noises of the Maze and Gladers snoring.

Over the pop and crackle of the fire I think I hear something, so I listen more closely. Someone is crying.

"Newt," I whisper.

"What is it?"

"Can you hear that?"

He listens then nods. "Yeah, someone's crying."

"Should we check if they're ok?"

"Probably." He gets up, pulling me with him and we follow the sound to the hammocks not too far from the fire.

We carefully tread among them, Newt's limp making it hard for him to be quiet, trying not to disturb anyone until we get to the source of the crying. It's Chuck.

I kneel down next to him hammock and put a hand on his shoulder, causing him to start and turn around.

"Hey," I murmur, "what's wrong?" He wipes his eyes and sniffles, then sits up and faces me.

"Those noises," he says, "what are they?"

"They're the Grievers," Newt says, squatting beside me, "they live in the Maze."

"But it's ok," I add quickly, "you saw those stone walls? They can't come in here. We're safe in here."

Chuck nods tearfully. "Do you think we have families outside the Maze?" Newt and I glance at each other.

"Yeah," I say softly, "of course we do! I bet we have Mums and Dads brothers and sisters all just waiting for us to come out of here. I recon they miss us a fair bit too."

"I'm scared," Chuck says, and I nod, looking down at the ground then back up at his tear-streaked face.

"I know," I say, "did I tell you I was the first one here?" He shakes his head and I continue, "Well when I first got here, I didn't have any idea what was going on and what was happening, and I spent days trying to figure it all out, and I was so scared the entire time! I recon I cried for about a day at one point, but we've just gotta keep on doing work and trying to solve this thing, and I'll tell you what, you're being really brave."

"It's ok to be scared," Newt adds, "we're all scared. But you can count on me and (Y/N). We'll help you out." He puts a hand on Chuck's shoulder and the younger boy gives us a watery smile.

"Thank you," he sniffs, and we smile at him.

"If you want," I say, "we can stay here with you," but he shakes his head.

"I'm ok, you two can sleep in your spots."

"Are you sure?" Newt asks and Chuck nods.

I stand up, leaning back down to give the kid a brief hug before I take Newt's hand and we go back to our spot by the fire.

I lie down, and Newt settles himself opposite me.

"That was really nice of you," he says, and I smile.

"Hey, you helped too."

He shrugs, then leans over and kisses my lips lightly. I shuffle closer to him and put an arm over his ribcage. He brushes the hair off my face with one hand then rests his arm over my shoulder.

"Good night, Newt." I say softly, pressing my lips against his forehead.

"Good night, (Y/N)."