19

Gally looks awful. He stands there, a knife in hand, breathing heavily. Sweat beads his forehead and his clothes are bloody and torn, showing scraped and bruised skin underneath.

I almost can't believe he's real, that he's not just a hallucination.

"They'll kill you!" He screams, pointing the knife around the room. "The Grievers will kill you all! One every night until it's over!" Spit flies from his mouth and lunacy dances in his eyes.

Breathing heavily, panting almost, Gally walks over to the window, dragging his right leg behind him. Nobody moves. I'm almost more afraid of him than I am of the Griever outside.

"You," Gally says with a sneer so pronounced it's past comical, just flat out disturbing. He points a bloody finger at Thomas. "It's all your fault!" without warning he swings a fist at Thomas, catching him in the ear. With a cry of shock, Thomas falls to the ground, scrambling up as soon as he hits the wooden boards.

I finally snap out of my daze, ripping my hand from where I'm still gripping Newt's I step forward and push Gally, slamming him into a desk. I half expect him to retaliate but instead he just points the knife around the room, taking everyone in.

"It can't be solved," he mutters, his voice low and spooky, "The shuck Maze'll kill all you shanks... the Grievers'll kill you... one every night till it's over... I... It's better this way..." his mad gaze drops to the floor. "They'll only kill you one a night... their stupid Variables..."

I listen, casting a nervous look over my shoulder to Newt, but he looks just as confused as I am.

"Gally," Newt says, "shut your hole. There's a Griever sitting right outside the window, maybe if you be quiet it'll go away." Gally meets Newt's eyes over my shoulder.

"You don't get it Newt," he whispers, "you're too stupid – you've always been too stupid. There's no way out, no way to win! They're gonna kill you, all of you – one by one!" he screams the last word, turning to rip at the boards over the window.

"No!" I shout, running towards him, Newt behind me. "Gally stop!"

The crazed boy already has one board free, and tears a second one off just as I reach him. He swings around, slamming the board into my head and sending me flying back onto the floor.

I come to propped up against the wall, Newt wiping blood from my face. There's no sign of Gally, but the window is smashed, shards of glass glittering on the floor.

"(Y/N)," Minho squats next to Newt, a furrow between his brows. "You ok?"

I raise a hand to my face, feeling a large gash across my forehead. I pull it back, wet with blood.

"Yeah," I say, "fine." I take the rag from Newt, pressing to the cut.

"Quite the bash he gave you," the blond boy observes, sitting back on his heels and giving me a slight smile. I look around, Gladers are still huddled in groups around the edges of the room, looking haunted.

"Where's Gally?" I ask and Newt's smile fades. His face darkens, and he scowls at the window.

"The idiot was spurting some nonsense about what the real world is like, that we don't want to remember, then he chucked himself at the shuck Griever, and the things all left."

"So, he was right." I mumble faintly. Newt and Minho frown. "One a night." I say by way of explanation.

"(Y/N) I don't think-" Minho starts but I wave a hand, cutting him off.

"Can we talk about it in the morning? I need to sleep." They nod and take the rag away from my face. It's soaked in my blood, Newt must have been holding it for a while before I woke up. The bleeding seems to have stopped now, though. I lie down and close my eyes, listening to the whispers around me.

"You think she'll be ok?" Minho asks.

"Yeah, she's tough as nails." Newt replies, then as an afterthought: "probably will have a scar though."

"You're real lucky man," Minho tells him and Newt lets out a small laugh. I feel him brush a strand off my face, pulling a little because it's stuck in blood.

"I know, bloody hell, I know."

Hi! Hope you're all enjoying, these last few chapters have been short, but it felt like a good spot to leave them so I hope you don't mind! xo