26

We stand in a group by the doors, Minho and Newt beside me and Teresa just in front, Thomas beside her. I notice that Chuck's standing with Thomas too, and feel something stirring inside me. A twelve-year-old kid shouldn't have go through things like this.

"You shanks ready?" Minho grins down at me, and I smile back, though I think it turns out as more of a grimace. "Thomas," he says, "this was all your idea, so if it doesn't work, I'll kill you before the Grievers can."

"Thanks," he mutters, then turns to Teresa, who's shifting anxiously from foot to foot. "You ok?"

"Fine," she replies with a small smile, clearly not fine, "just anxious to get it over with."

"Amen, sister." Minho says, he looks the calmest, the most confident and least scared out of anyone here.

I find Newt's hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. He squeezes back reassuringly.

"You should tell them the plan, for anyone who missed it." He murmurs, and I nod, making my way to stand out the front of the crowd.

"Right." I say, pretending not to be worried, "there are twenty-three of us." I pull my pack more firmly onto my shoulders, hefting the makeshift spear in my hand. Really, it's just a stick with a dagger strapped to the end. "Make sure you all have your weapons, other than that there isn't a shuck lot to say. We'll fight through the Grievers, Thomas and Teresa will jump down the hole and punch in the magic words, then we'll get payback on the Creators. Easy-peasy lemon squeezy." I smile, hoping it looks more real than it feels.

"Should someone give a pep talk?" Minho calls, and I shrug.

"Go ahead."

He faces the group, standing up to see them all. "Be careful," he says dryly, "don't die."

"Great," Newt answers, "we're all bloody inspired."

I would laugh, but I'm too scared it'll come out as a sob. "You all know the plan." I address the Gladers, "After almost three years of being treated like mice, we're making a stand. Tonight, we're taking the fight back to the Creators, no matter what we have to go through to get there. Tonight, the Grievers better be scared."

Newt lets out a "whoop," then someone else joins in, then someone else. Soon, the air rings with shouts and battle cries. I'm right, we'll fight no matter what, it doesn't matter how bad the world outside is, we're getting revenge.

"Hear that Creators?" I yell, "We're coming!"

I start running into the Maze, then decide halfway to let Minho lead. I drop back, lightly touch Minho's shoulder to let him know to head to the front. He nods, slaps my back, then runs to the front of the group.

I run beside Newt, his limp making it hard for him to keep up. Thomas, Teresa and Chuck are just ahead of us, all three of them holding hands. I hope we all make it through this.

"Stop!" the shout comes from Minho up ahead, and I skid to a stop, grabbing Newt's arm.

Just in front of us, in a line across the cliff, are the most Grievers I've ever actually seen in one spot. They don't move, just wait for us.

"Shuck, what do we do?" I whisper. Not surprisingly, nobody answers. Newt takes my hand, pushing his way to the front where Minho stands, watching. Thomas and Teresa follow, Chuck trailing behind them.

"Got any ideas?" Thomas asks, and all of us shake our heads.

"I don't understand what they're bloody waiting for." Minho mutters.

"We shouldn't have come." The whisper escapes me before I can stop it.

"(Y/N), no." The keeper of the runners turns around, looking straight into my eyes. "We'd be no better off at the homestead, but at least we're doing something here."

"Come on, (Y/N)," Newt adds, "those shanks back there need a bloody leader and you're the girl for the job."

I nod, swallowing my fear. "Yeah, right, sorry. Just kinda slipped out." I mumble, looking at my feet.

"We have to make a path to the Cliff." Teresa says, and we nod.

"We'll fight them if we have to," Newt replies and I feel a surge of awe for him, for his bravery. "We can hold them off long enough for you to get into the hole and do your thing, until you tell us to follow."

"Ok," Thomas says. Minho turns to the crowd behind us.

"Listen up!" he shouts, "number one priority-" the revving of engines from behind us cut him off and we spin around to see the Grievers rolling forwards.

"Shuck-!" I curse, readying my spear. "Weapons everyone! Make a path for Thomas and Teresa!"