12

Hi! Nice short one this time!

I'm running, my feet pounding against the cobble stones of the Maze. The moaning, whirring, clicking and metallic scrapes of the Grievers pursue me, relentless.

A scream echoes through the corridor behind me and I turn to see another person running towards me. A tall, blond person with a heavy limp.

"Newt!" I scream, the Grievers are too fast and he's too far from me. I run towards him, but the Grievers catch up, metal arms reaching, claws clicking and saws spinning.

"Newt, no!" I yell but it's too late.

"(Y/N), (Y/N)!" someone is shaking my shoulder, and I open my eyes. Newt is leaning over me, a hand on my shoulder. "(Y/N) are you ok?"

"Yeah," I lie, but I can tell he doesn't believe me. I sit up, running my hands through my hair. I bring my knees up to my chest, hugging them close and resting my chin on my arms. I can feel tears sliding down my cheeks, but I can't be bothered to wipe them off.

"Bad dream, huh?" he scoots closer to me, but I don't meet his eyes. I just nod. "You were thrashing around and screaming my name, then you started crying so I woke you up. Are you sure you're ok?"

I press my lips together and burry my face in my hands, trying to keep in the sob I can feel rising in my throat. Newt's arms wrap around me and I take a shaky breath in, then out. He lifts me gently onto his lap and I don't resist as he rubs circles on my back, telling me it's ok, that he's here.

Eventually I lift my head, looking into his soft brown eyes.

"Ok?" he asks.

"Ok." He gently moves me off his lap and lies down, wrapping his arms around me from behind, his breath a light tickle on the back of my neck.

"I don't know what I'd do without you, Newt." I say, my voice cracking.

"You'll never have to find out, I promise." He kisses my shoulder gently and I let my eyes drift shut. No more nightmares tonight.