28

I shoot from the hole, crashing into someone who grunts and curses, but grabs me around the torso.

"Shuck, don't stab me (Y/N)!" Minho says, and push him off, muttering an apology.

"Newt? Newt?" I call into the dimness, waiting for my eyes to adjust.

"(Y/N)," he hurries towards me, quickly embracing me then letting go. "What took you so long? We were bloody worried!"

I point to my belt, too tired to say anything.

"Guys come on," Minho calls from up ahead, "there's a doorway."

I take Newt's hand, following as everyone files out through the door.

The room we find ourselves in is in ruins, lights flickering, smashed computer screens, bodies littering the floor, all of clad in white coats.

"What the..." I breathe, letting go of Newt's hand.

"Guys," Thomas presses a button, and a screen flickers to life, showing the face of a blonde woman, probably around sixty years old.

"Hello," she says, her tone measured and cool. "My name is Dr. Ava Paige, I'm the director of operations at the World In Crisis, Killzone Experiment Department, or, as you know us, WICKED. If you're watching this, that means you've successfully completed the Maze Trials. I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you, but circumstances seem to have prevented it." In the background, white coated figures run frantically around, carrying scientific-looking equipment. "I fear by now you must all be very confused. Angry, frightened. I can only assure you, everything that's happened to you, everything we've done to you, it was all done for a reason. You won't remember, but the sun has scorched our world. Billions of lives, lost to fire, famine." I gasp, taking a step back. Newt's hand squeezes mine, a small comfort. On the screen, images of buildings burning, bodies in the streets, burnt and blacked earth. "Devastation on a global scale." The woman continues. "What came next was even worse. We called it the Flare." I hide my face in Newt's shirt, I know about this. I've seen it in the changing. "A deadly virus that attacks the brain. It is violent, unpredictable, and it is incurable." I look up. On the screen, an image of a man writhing on a hospital bed is displayed, black veins netting his face, viscous black fluid spilling from his lips. "Or so we thought." Dr. Ava Paige keeps talking. "In time, a new generation emerged that could survive the virus. Suddenly, there was a reason to hope for a cure. But finding it would not be easy. The young would have to be tested, even sacrificed, in harsh environments where their brain activity could be studied, all in an effort to understand what makes them different. What makes you different. You may not realise it, but you're very important. Unfortunately, your trials have only just begun, and as you'll no doubt soon discover, not everyone agrees with our methods." She turns, in the background people are flooding into the room, shooting down the scientists. Ava Paige turns back to the camera. "Remember," she says, lifting a gun to her temple, "WICKED is good."

The screen goes dark, Teresa lifts her hands to her mouth. "Oh my god..." She whispers.

To our right, a door hisses, opening up to a dark corridor.

"What are we supposed to do now?" Newt asks.

"I... I dunno." Thomas looks at Chuck, the younger boy's face is filled with fear. "Let's get out of here." We start to move towards the door, but a voice behind us makes us stop.

"No." And there, bathed in the light from a broken screen, is Gally.

"Gally?" Thomas pushes forward, but Teresa stops him.

"Don't." she says softly.

Gally shakes his head, and I notice a gun in his hand. "We can't leave," he says, his arms shaking.