22

"Man," I say, and everyone nods.

"Could be coincidence," Newt points out, "quick, do more."

We do, passing Thomas the eight pages from the next day. And the next. And the next. We continue, each time an obvious letter appearing in the centre of the mass of criss-crossing lines.

F, then L, then O, then A, then T. After that comes a C, another A, and another T.

"Look," Thomas says, staring at the words, "it spells FLOAT and CAT."

"Float cat?" Newt asks, "Doesn't sound like any sort of rescue code to me."

"Let's just keep going," I say, reaching for more maps.

As it turns out, the word is CATCH not CAT.

"Yeah," I say, looking at Newt, "definitely not a coincidence." He grunts.

"Let's keep going," Teresa says, "we need to go through all those boxes in there." She points at the closet and I nod.

"We can't stay." Minho points out, "At least not me and Thomas. We have to go out in the Maze."

"What?" Thomas protests, "No! This is way more important!"

"Maybe," Minho concedes, "but we can't miss a day out in the Maze. Not now."

"Why?" Thomas asks, "You said the pattern's basically been repeating itself for months, one more day won't mean anything!"

"That's bullcrap, Thomas!" Minho slams his hand down on the floor. "Today is the most important day. With the walls not closing, something might have opened up, something might have changed. In fact, I think we should try your idea, stay out there longer."

"But what about the code? What about-?"

"Tommy," Newt says, "Minho's right. You shanks go run, us three will be fine here."

"You sure?" I can see Thomas wants to go out with Minho.

"We're sure." Teresa tells him. "Besides," she adds, flashing me a grin, "if we're deciphering a hidden code from a complex set of mazes, I'm pretty sure you need girls' brains running the show."

Newt draws breath but then decides there's no point in protesting, and sighs.

"If you say so." Thomas rolls his eyes.

"Good that," Minho stands, "everything's fine and dandy. Come on." He stops in the doorway when he realises that Thomas isn't behind him.

"Don't worry," I tease, "your girlfriend will be fine with us."

Without saying another word, Thomas leaves.

We get straight back to work, and soon a definite set of words appears.

"We should write this down, just in case." I say, grabbing a pencil and a piece of paper off the ground.

"Float... catch... bl..." I mutter as I write, that's all we have so far.

We've got a few more letters done, (E, E, D, D, E, A, T, H,) when Teresa comes up beside me.

"Hey," she says softly.

"Hey," I reply.

"Are you ok?" She asks, and I feel even worse about chucking her in the slammer.

"Yeah, I'm fine. You?"

"Fine. Thomas told me about Alby." There it is, the lump back in my throat.

"Yeah?" I say, sounding strangled even to my own ears.