25

"What do you mean?" I say into the silence.

"Well first there's something I have to share." He squeezes his hands together, a thin sheen of sweat appearing on his face. "About me and Teresa. There's a reason Gally was accusing us of all that stuff, a reason everyone who's been through the changing recognises me." He pauses. "Teresa and I, we're different. We were part of the Maze trials right from the very beginning, but against out will – I swear it."

Minho speaks up now. "Thomas, what're you talking about?"

"Teresa and I were used by the Creators." Thomas continues, "If you had your full memories back, you'd probably want to kill us. But I had to tell you, so you see we can be trusted now, so you'll believe me when I say there's a way out of here." He pauses again, taking a deep breath. "Teresa and I helped design the Maze, we helped create the whole thing."

Silence.

"Thomas what's that supposed to mean?" Newt frowns, "You're a bloody sixteen-year-old, how could you design this Maze?"

"We were... smart. That was part of the Variables. And Teresa and I have a... gift that made us very valuable when this place was being built."

"Well spit it out!" I almost shout. Thomas jumps.

"We're telepathic!" He blurts. "We can speak to each other in our freaking heads!"

I blink in surprise. Someone coughs.

"But listen to me," Thomas hurries to defend himself, "they forced us to help. I don't know how or why but they did. Maybe it was to see if we could gain your trust despite being part of them, maybe we were meant to be the ones to reveal how to escape all along. Whatever reason, it doesn't matter. With your maps, we figured out the code and we need to use it now." He looks around.

Most people are either staring at him, or shaking their heads in disbelief, and for some reason Minho is smiling.

"It's true," he continues, "and I'm sorry. But we're in the same boat as you now, and we can die just as easily. Teresa and I were sent here just like everyone else, but the Creators have seen enough. It's time for the final test. Anyway, I wanted you to know the truth, to know that there's a chance we can do this."

I stare at the floor, shaking my head slowly. I look up, scanning the faces of the other keepers. "This was the Creators, not Tommy and Teresa. Those shanks did this to us. The Creators. And they'll be sorry."

"Well," Minho says, "who gives a klunk about all that? Let's just get onto this escape already!"

"There a computer station in a place we've never looked before." Thomas smiles, "we punk in the code, which opens the door out of the Maze and shuts down the Grievers, so they can't follow us."

"A place we've never looked before?" Newt asks incredulously, "We've been looking around this Maze since day one!"

"Trust me," Thomas says, "you've never looked here before."

"Well cut the crap, Greenie," I say, standing up, "where?"

"It's almost suicide, the Grievers will all come after us. The final test."

"So where is it?" Newt prods, leaning forward.

"Over the Cliff." Thomas says, "Through the Griever hole."

"What." I say blankly, sitting back down.

"Tommy that's crazy," Newt protest, "we can't even fight one on our own ground, let alone a whole hoard of them in their little hole!"

Suddenly a flash of memory crosses my mind, the scorched desert, people's eyes raging with lunacy, black fluid spilling from their mouth.

"No," I whisper, and everyone looks at me.

"(Y/N)," Thomas says, "what do you mean "No"?"

"We can't go back." I'm still whispering, the images in my mind swirling and morphing.

"So, this was for nothing? Everything I did was for nothing?"

"We can't go out there," I stand, my voice rising to a normal level, "I've seen what the world is like and-" I choke, tears filling my eyes. The other Gladers watch me, and with a start I realise that none – or at least very few of them – have ever actually seen me upset or scared. I usually do a good job of looking strong.

"(Y/N)..." Thomas takes a step towards me.

"No!" I shout, tears pouring down my cheeks, "We can't go back! I've seen it, it's awful. Burned land and, and a disease, horrible things! They call it the Flare we can't go back!" my voice rises to an almost hysterical pitch, my whole body shaking. They don't understand, we're safer here. "Please..." I beg, my voice soft and shaky, "please listen to me." Newt gets up off his chair and kneels beside me, it's only then that I realise I'm huddled on the floor. I should be embarrassed, but I don't care. I have to make them see the truth.

"Love, if we stay here we'll die," He says gently, one hand on my back.

"That's better. That's better than what's out there."

"Please come with us," he puts an arm around me, "we can face it together."

"No," I say, "we can't. It'll kill us all, slowly."

"Then we'll die together, not being picked off one a night." Minho kneels down too, looking me in the face.

"(Y/N)," it's Thomas this time, "we still live inside the world you remember, inside a Maze or out. Don't you want to be free? Not stuck in an experiment?" He's appealing to my hatred of being controlled, that's dirty.

"Please, (Y/N)," Minho puts a hand on my shoulder, and I look up, meeting his eyes, "we need our leader."

In the end, they convince me to go. I'm not sure how exactly, because every time a flash of memory resurfaces, I freeze, wishing I hadn't agreed to come with them.

Soon, everyone in the Glade is convinced to go. They all grab weapons, and carry as many supplies as they can in packs.

"(Y/N), are you ok?" Newt asks, taking my hand and looking me in the face.

"Yeah," I lie, "are you?" he nods. Suddenly, I pull him into a hug, holding him close to me. His strong arms encircle me, warm and safe. I know what I have to do. The Grievers only take one person a night, and somehow, I don't think they'll be stinging us.

"I can't lose you, (Y/N)," Newt whispers, "I love you too much." Suddenly my resolve falters. What am I thinking? I can't sacrifice myself to the Grievers, I can't hurt Newt like that. Besides, they might not even stick to that rule. I'll fight, for everyone in the Glade. Just like I always have done as their leader.

"I love you too, Newt."