Chapter 7.4 | Change

Wellston, girls dormitories 7:03pm

Sera PoV

"Hot chocolate?", I asked my guest.

" Always! ", Evie sat herself down on the sofa as I  paced away into the kitchen space.

" I'm so happy I decided to talk to you.", I said as I reached for the half-empty container of cocoa powder, "It feels great to be able to rely on someone like this."

"Pfft, anytime!", she waved dismissively. "Besides, you know I could never pass up an opportunity to talk about boys.", she wiggled her eyebrows.

" I know!", I said while turning on the kettle, "I learned the hard way."

She laughed at my comment, to which I asked, "Did I lie?!"

"No, you are very right!"

Then, she cleared her throat and asked, "So, now that we've established that you do, in fact, have feelings for good ol' John, ", she leaned back against the cushions, " What do you plan to do about it? "

"That's the thing.", I quickened the speed of my stirring in frustration, "I have no idea."

"nO iDeA? Oh, come on Seraphina! You've got to have something.", she crossed her arms.

Walking over, I handed her a steaming cup of chocolatey bliss. She thanked me and carefully sipped. I looked into my own mug which was rested on my lap and wondered about how I could fix this John situation. I knew we needed to talk but I didn't think I could look him in that eye after having said and done what I did.

I was still embarrassed about the 'almost-kiss' stunt, particularly now after I realised that I liked him. “Evie, I-I shamed him for admitting his feelings only to then pathetically beg him to take me back? I don’t think so!” I said in frustration, “Especially after I weaponized his feelings and stabbed him in the back...or lips...kind of- NEVERMIND!”, I exclaimed, tightening my grip around the mug.

Setting her mug onto the coffee table, she straightened her back, then leaned towards me  “Look, we’re all dumb sometimes,”and put her hand on my arm, “Some more than others.”

“Bruh-”

“My point is that you made a mistake and now you have to try and fix it.”, she shrugged, “If it makes you feel any better, John is probably thinking about is more than you are.”

I dropped my head down, “I know, I don’t want him to blame himself for my outburst.”

“Isn’t it his fault though?”, she asked

“No.”

She raised an eyebrow and took another sip of chocolate, “Are you sure about that?”

“Yes.”, I turned my head to look at her. But she didn’t seem satisfied with my answer. Am I sure?

“No?”, I mumbled.

“Exactly!”, Evie stated, “You can’t blame yourself entirely either. It’s his fault too.”

“I guess that’s true. He did lie to my face for two years.”, I began, “That really pis*ed me off. And then, he didn’t change, even after he promised he would. I had enough once he asked me out, I knew I couldn’t trust him truly.”

“I agree. But, if you ask me, he did change.”

I looked up, confused.

“Well, what he did today wasn’t very murderous, wouldn’t you agree?”

She was right, saving us peacefully wasn’t John’s style. What if he’s lying again?

“But, there's no way of knowing whether this is a permanent change.” I said blankly