Chapter 11.2| Bad Dream

Sera PoV

"Why are you lying to me?", I asked

Gulping, John sat up, " I-I'm not.", he said, averting eye contact.

"I thought we were past this." I shook my head and moved away from him on the bed, "Why can't you just talk to me?! We've been through so much!"

"I-I know, Sera, I'm sorry.", he mumbled, " I always ruin everything. I'm s-sorry...", his hair covered his eyes while he sat across from me, cross legged.

"I just want to be able to believe you straight away." I admitted, "I hate having to second guess every conversation we have." I sighed, "I want us to work."

"I want that too! I just..." He paused, tightening his lip into a line.

"Spit it out. Your problems are my problems.",I said, reaching over to his clenched hand. " That's part of the whole relationship deal."

John still refused to meet my gaze, instead choosing to look down at our touching hands. "You're right... as usual.", he chuckled grimly, " Y-you remember what happened at the Facility? What Keon was doing to me?"

"Yeah. Of course.", I creased my brow

He nodded and continued, " What he said to me...it still gnaws at my mind...", his voice faded and he sat completely still, his focus pinned on our hands.

"John, keep talking. You were doing well.", I said, trying to persuade him to continue.

He wasn't responding so I manually turned his face towards mine. I flinched, disturbed by the wildness I his eyes. His glance was dodgy and uncertain, while little streams of tears   fell down his cheeks.

Wrenching himself from my hold, John crashed onto the floor and rapidly shifted his focus around the room, finally resting on me. Then, he scrambled to his feet and rushed out of the room, muttering an apology. I was speechless.

I listened as John opened the bathroom door and turned on the light. I heard a cabinet open and then  the rattle of pills in a bottle. Launching off of the bed, I sprinted to him. What was he thinking?!

I got there in time to see him swallow something. " What did you do?!", I called, grabbing the open container on the sink. The label read 'Valium'. It was a prescribed medication for anxiety disorders. It said in messy handwriting, 'John Doe' and '1 pill per day for 2 weeks'. When did he go to the doctor?

"Oh, wow!", he exclaimed, " That sh*t really works."

"Wait. What happened?!", I asked, overwhelmed by his mood swing, " You just stormed out of the room looking like you saw a ghost! "

"Eh, you know how it is.", he dismissed, rolling his eyes, " When the voices in your head become a little much, sometimes you need to take a chill pill.", he chuckled at his own joke.

"Voices? You mean Keon?", my concern grew.

"Yeah.", he nodded leaning with on the sink, " Keon, Claire, Arlo, you...oh, and me of course. ", he face palmed himself, laughing, " How could I forget me?! "

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. What exactly was he dealing with and... "What are these voices saying?", I asked. Especially mine.

" That really depends, Keon and 'I' usually yap on and on about how dangerous I am.", he sighed to emphasize his exhaustion with the matter, "And then the rest of you prove our point.", he shrugged.