Chapter 8.2| Failed

John PoV

The van doors swang open wildly in the wind. As I chased, I could see my Sera tied and tossed to the side of the vehicle. Here captors watched me cautiously as the lilac-haired woman barked orders at them. Sera was terrified, I could see it in her sky-blue eyes. That only motivated me to keep going, using Remi and Isen’s abilities to their max.

My lungs burned and my heart beat faster than ever before. I couldn’t let them get away. I couldn’t let them take her! I had to keep running, no matter how hard it was. But I knew I had to do something else, change my tactic. I wouldn’t be able to chase them forever, even with my ability buffs. 

Growing breathless, I summoned a storm of black sparks around me and shot at the van. It veered mildly, but it wasn’t enough. I growled and desperately jabbed lightening at the kidnappers, in hopes of deleying them somehow. The fierce air resistance blew the tears from my ignited eyes. I was doing my best. Pushing my limits. How could it not be enough?! It was only a van!!  If only there was something else I could do! 

Sera Pov

Paralysed by fear, I could only watch as John attempted to save me. Black sparks zapped around the van, hitting some of my attackers, but not seriously enough to do any real damage. He must be too far away. Tears rolled down my cheeks. I was so helpless. Tricked by my own sister, a victim of her manipulation. I thought I was better than that.

“It’s working!”, the traitor yelled at her followers, “Dispatch unit C!”

Immediately, a man activated his ability and disappeared, appearing besides John instead. He quickly sped past the teleporting man, grinning. For a second, I couldn’t see John anymore, he was gone. Then he suddenly flashed next to me inside the van. He must have copied that man’s ability! 

I felt a glimmer of hope when he turned to me with relief in his eyes after I saw him electrocute most of the crew. Most of it. Someone pulled my head back from behind and I could feel something cold and sharp pressed against my throat.

“DON’T TOUCH HER!!”, John yelled, about to throw himself at my attacker.

“You’re in no position to be making demands, boy.”, Leilah threatened, pressing her face against my ear, “Know your place.”

Warmth split from my neck. I could feel it trickle down my collarbone. No, this can’t be happening! I stared at the roof of the van in disbelief. She won’t kill me, will she?

“Stop!”, I heard John call and the blade slicing into my skin paused expectantly, “What do you want me to do?”, he said somberly. 

Obey and submit to us. Go down and stay down. Don’t fight back.”, she stated, “If you do so, your precious ‘Sera’ won’t be hurt.”

Wait- they don’t want me. They want him! I was only the bait!

“No, John don’t-”, I barely choked out but Leilah, tugged my hair back sharply.

 “Silence.”, she hissed at me. “Your answer?” she turned to the boy.

John sighed and hung his head low. He raised his hands in the air, “I accept.”, he breathed, deactivating his ability; his last line of defence. 

“Lock him down.”, Leilah ordered and let go of my hair, dropping me against the side.

Her people took John to the ground while he limply lay there. They tied him up and gagged him. His face was pressed against the floor as he looked up at me, tears welling in his eyes. The van doors closed, enveloping us in blackness.