Chapter 14.3 | Know

The odds were in our favour.

Sera Pov

Being thrown at my opponents, I gasped when I fell onto the man wearing a trench coat. Immediately, shoved him further into the ground and leapt off of him. Backing up, I turned to John, "What the Hell was that?!!" I yelled, furious.

About to run off, John said, "Sorry, but stay close to them and keep them busy!"

"What?!"

He disappeared in an orange dart. I could see the trail of orange scale the nearest building. He must have a plan then. Grunting, I spun to the opponents and kicked the blonde woman in the stomach. She set her elongated fingers ablaze, pouncing at me. Of course, she was no match for my speed so dodging her weak attack was like child's play. Then I spotted Remi. Fighting the man and the other woman,  she moved slightly slower than she usually would. Her aim seemed slightly off, as she often missed her attackers and received hits in return.

Crying out in frustration, she fired a net of lightning and sparks in all directions, shocking and temporarily immobilising her opponents. I took the opportunity to hit the two sitting ducks into a nearby wall. I dusted my hands and supported Remi's weight while she steadied her breathing.

"Are you ok? Why were you moving so slowly?"I asked, "Is your ability fine?"

Nodding she replied, "Don't worry, my ability is at full strength. It was just that woman... it felt like she was draining my energy." she stood on her own, maintaining balance, "It's fine now!"

Giving Remi a thumbs up, I returned my focus to the blonde woman. As I was about to attack, a shot of lightning whizzed past me at her. She dodged to the side and, with a frown, sprinted at the pinkette behind me. Freezing her, I watched her expression turn to shock. She knew she was outranked.

But then, I was struck with a familiar sensation.

My hands began to quiver, while I felt my power suddenly evaporate. My ability?! Fearfully, I saw the blonde villain return to her regular colours and smirk wickedly.

John PoV

"Sorry, but stay close to them and keep them busy!"

"What?!" I heard Sera call out behind me. Ignoring her, I sprinted to the closest building and scaled it. With Sera and Remi's abilities, my speed was unmatched. Landing on the roof, I saw the four snipers lined across multiple buildings, if it wasn't for the advanced Hunter ability, they would have been difficult to pinpoint.

Jumping between freezing and unfreezing time, I sped at the first set of gunmen. They were distracted and seemed to be looking for something down below. Probably me.

"Surprise, bit*hes!" I kicked the guy up front in the chin, knocking him into the next guy. Immediately, I yanked their weapons away from them and tossed the guns to the side.

With these two pricks out of the picture, I swiftly moved on to the next pair. However, they noticed the commotion I had started with the previous lot. So, they weren't caught off guard when I jumped them.

One raised his ray-gun and aimed at me, while I held down his partner. Unable to afford getting hit with a dampener,  I blocked the shot with the man I was beating. Before chucking him at the gunman.

Now, it was time for the last pair.  As I moved toward them, I heard the gun-wielding woman say, "Distract him, Renold!" she was speaking to her partner, "I'm about to get a good shot on the purple-head."

My eyes widened and I looked down to where Sera and Remi were. Of course, my girlfriend aka the local over-achiever took out all the attackers... now it was just going to backfire. I told her to keep them BUSY!!! Using my full power, I launched myself at the sniper. Her colleague attempted to block me, but I was too fast for him.

Once I collided with the woman and wrenched the dampener from her grip, it was already too late. The shot had been fired. Leaning over the edge of the building, I keenly watched Sera, hoping that it was a miss. But judging from the shift in Sera's demenor and her bright aura diminishing, it was a hit.

The blonde trenchcoat could move again and I could see her cruel smirk from up here. Thinking fast, I looked at the weapon in my hands and aimed it at the woman. my finger inched toward the trigger, but before I could pull it, Remi dashed at the villain. I flinched, lowering the gun. The pinkette jumped to protect Sera, sending a net of sparks at the attacker.

Unable to wait any longer,  I leapt off the roof. Using my time manipulation, I lessened the fall damage. I bounced up off the ground and hurtled myself at the woman. However, she anticipated my attack and grabbed my leg, setting it ablaze. But it her flames had no chance of penetrating my amplified fireresistance. Landing on one leg, I was barely able to hold my balance. I zapped her with my lightnig, which was more powerful than Remi's.

This difference in voltage shocked my opponent, allowing me to escape her fiery grip. Glancing back at the girls, "Remi!" I called, "Get Sera out of here!!" While the pinkette nodded and pulled her away, Sera gave me a helpless look. She seemed so defeated.

Giving Sera a quick and reassuring smile, I turned back to the blonde and copied her flames. She bradened her stance, ready to fight. "You know, John," she began, tilting her head, "It's not too late. You can still join us. It's where you belong."

It's for the best...you are doomed to-

I couldn't help but crack a laugh. "'Where I belong', huh?" I mocked, "Nah, I don't think so." I lesiurely walked towards her, having some bounce in my step. She shuffled back slightly, surprised by my advance. "All bark no bite? Aren't you supposed  to be EMBER's best? Pathetic." I spat, "How concited are you and your superiors to think you could ever take me down again? You had your shot, it didn't work out." I shrugged.

The blonde furrowed her brow, "Watch your tone brat-"

"Make me- oh wait!" I slammed her into the ground, pressing her torso down with my foot. "You can't." Seeing the fear in her eyes was satisfying. She was completely at my mercy and she knew it. I wanted to hurt her. She obviosly deserved it, she worked for the authoroties. As I was about to break her ribs, I paused.

I wasn't that person anymore.

That was the point of all of this.

To prove I was better.

That I could change.

That I wasn't a monster anymore.

I did it. I got there. Everyone knew now. My friends and allies. Even my enemies.

Even me.

I could't throw that all away for someone as worthless as this woman. I couldn't sink so low.

Not again.

Sighing, I removed my foot. "I could easily destroy you." I stated, "But I won't. Not now."

She looked up at me, her jaw slackening.

"But if you try and attack any of us again, "I stared down at her, straingtning my posture, "I won't be so mercifull. My patience has limits." Without sparing her a second glance, I turned away disapearing into the night.

" Without sparing her a second glance, I turned away disapearing into the night

Sorry that this update was a bit later in the day. I had a huge brain fart.

Till next time <3