6. Invisible lines?

Muradh was de cluttering his giant mahogany table and packing away his belongings when Aadil came barging into the room..

" Holy crap.. Machan mang mae dhakkine boruvak kiyala kiyapan (dude, tell me what I am seeing is a hoax)" he exclaimed..

"Assalamu Alaikum W.W to you Aadil..Welcome back" Muradh replied enthusiastically giving Aadil a bro hug..

Aadil and  Muradh were batchmates in college.. and now colleagues too, with an initial introduction in college, both of them struck on a blooming friendship which nevertheless,amidst the ups and downs kept growing throughout the years since their internship days to the point that they were know to be inseperables.. he was away for 6 months on a project in Holland and has returned back couple of days ago..

" walaikum salam w.w Muradh.. since when did this start happening? you leaving office at the dot of 5?" he eyed him skeptically..

" My work here is done machan(dude), so why stay?" he replied in a matter of fact tone..

" your ass bro.. agree that nanga(younger sis) is moving things at home heh.. by the way? when are we, me and Hima meeting her..?

Aadil and his wife Hima, were in Holland during Muradh's wedding and thus havent seen nor met Imani..

"Mm.. today is monday.. so what about this Saturday? You free? Dinner at my place?" Muradh asked..

"On it bro.." Aadil replied..

Muttering his salams he strode off to the basement.. and with an all-knowing wink and salute from Perera Uncle.. he drove away..

This has been a routine since some days..  Muradh would finish whatever the task assigned to him with hands and legs on wheels and at the dot of 5 he would be rushing home..

It was now an everyday occurrence for him to shower Imani with gifts.. take her out on dates (he doesnt
Call them dates but dinner of course..) and treating her to ice creams and showing her around colombo.. It was as the guy was dying to spend every single minute with her and yet was careful enough to cover them up with a purpose.. like.. if he wanted to take Imani on a walk down the beach.. that would anyways start along the lines of..

"Imani.. I have to hand over these files to Jagath uncle and I would be late to come back.. I dont want you to stay alone at night.. so do you mind coming with me?

The girl would nod or occasionally say yes and they would go on their stroll..

Everyday would be spent on Muradh wrenching his brain on ideas to grab her attention..

His heart ignited on a flicker of joy in the amusement in her beads, her nod,  in her contemplation with her wrinkled forehead..  most of all her rare smiles..
Heck he was even ready to share his solo trips to the ice cream parlours and the minutes of solitude and ice cream-ic bliss with her.. the guy loved ice cream more nevertheless he was starting to fall for her even more..

He was almost acting a kid promised a lolly on accomplishing some task..  except for the fact the task was getting imani out of her shell and the lolly was his girl's  smile.. Any body looking at him can see that the guy is head over heels fallen in love.. smitten by her..  everyone  did see it..except for her..

Walking in through the heavy oak doors.. his eyes whisked around the room searching eagerly for a presence in the home which has started dominating his world.. they eventually settled on the figure sitting down in the floor with the back against the sofa and a hard cover bounded book clutched in its fingers..

"Assalamu alaikum w.w I present you tadaaah my presence.. " he announced gleefully....

"Walaikum salam w.w.. You are weeeelcomee.." she prolonged in a voice dripping with sarcasm..