(14) Their Chemical Romance

The Partner in Crime (A.K.A The Best Mate - Terrance)

'My grandfather... sorry, it's just... I haven't told anyone but Jimmy this, it's hard, you know?' I said.

'Yeah, course, take your time. It's not like we're in any hurry.' Shelly joked. I smirked at her.

'Well, his name was Jack Elmer...'

....................................................................................................................................................................................

Seven years before his birth, Jack's parents made the move across the pond to live a life that they'd hoped would be more prosperous. The switch from the United States of America to the much smaller Britain was made at the tale end of 1929. The Wall Street Crash had created a depression so severe, that many could not cope. Some decided to relocate, and Jack's parents were one of them.

1936 saw the birth of a boy who would soon become somewhat of a minor celebrity; Jack Elmer. From a young age, he displayed an unusual and unexplained amount of respect and leadership like qualities. His first years at school were spent not as the outcast with foreign parents, but rather as the child that was inexplicably followed around by a large crowd of children everywhere he went.

At the age of three, Jack's steady childhood development was interrupted by the beginning of the Second World War. He was evacuated to the safer countryside along with millions of other children. Here, he still exhibited the extraordinary trait of extreme yet unwanted popularity.

He soon settled into life with his new family, along with three other children his own age. All of them were treated with disdain and disgust due to their being 'those dirty, gutter sleeping London children'. This lack of any adult figure to look up to, lead to Jack's seemingly automatic promotion to the position. He soon found himself caring for those around him. Even though this only usually involved comforting others when something was wrong, or keeping the atmosphere light by entertaining.

Upon his return to his own family, he found himself having to cope with the loss of his father, who had been killed in combat after being conscripted into the army.

At the age of nine, the war ended and the men returned from their duties. Jack's mother was one of the lucky few who had managed to retain her job after the supposedly 'more able' men came home.

In 1952, Jack had become lost in trying to find his own self. He recognized that he could use his popularity to his advantage, and began to manipulate those around him. Soon, he was walking down the path to a life of crime and violence. Though, due to his skillful manipulation of others, he himself, never got his hands dirty. His name became feared and highly respected within the community. 

It was also in 1952, that he met his future wife, Gloria.  They met in Secondary School and lived the majority of their lives; together.

Gloria never approved of Jack's ways, and often vocalized her opinions. It was only when an attempt was made on her life, that Jack realized he could no longer live the way he did.

Slowly, he began to withdraw from the life of crime and violence, though he managed to keep his reputation. The fear that was felt for him dissipated through his generous donations of small sums of his wealth to various charities. Soon, he became a man with a widely known reputation of being someone who would stand up for those who needed it. Only the respect remained and increased.

In 1965, when Jack was twenty-nine, Johnny was born. Johnny would grow up to marry Terrance's mother, a very controlling woman who couldn't stand to not get her own way. She had heard of Jack's past, and had taken an immediate dislike to the man. As Johnny's relationship with his father was extremely good, so, in turn, was Terrance's. Regular visits solidified the bond.