Yelena

She prowled around in the night, with a gun in hand. Three Widows followed her, scouting the area of the backyard of a comfy-looking house Madame B had asked her to track down. She had bought a ticket and here she was. She needed to track down two people. Take the traitor back. Kill Captain America and bring his body back.

  Steven Grant Rogers, Captain America. Yelena loaded her gun as she crept closer to the house, concealed in the bushes. "Find Rogers," she whispered to the other three Widows. She tossed her blonde hair back. "I'll take Romanoff." She eyed the black-haired woman behind her.

  "Melina, I want you to come with me," she ordered.

  Melina was one of the older women training in the Black Widow program. She had impeccable fighting skills and she was practically born to be a spy with her stealth abilities. Yelena was more reckless, wanting to fight as soon as possible without wasting time. Some would even call her impulsive. But she was told that she had been trained by the same trainer who taught the traitorous Widow, so their skills matched. She cracked her knuckles.

  "What are we to do now?" Melina shifted her position in the dark, and the moonlight that peeked through the gaps between the leaves of the bush they were in caught the red streak in her jet-black hair.

  "We go in, find that traitor, and take her down. It'll be easy, with you and I. She's hurt, I've heard." Yelena nodded her head toward the Widows advancing the house across from them. They were fast.

  "But remember she is the first out of all of us to be given the title, 'Black Widow'. No injury can stop her," Melina warned.

  "I'm the one to take down that mantle too," Yelena snapped back. "Since she helped the enemy, she's no longer one of us. I'm the Black Widow now."

  Melina stayed quiet, and after a while of uncomfortable silence, she cracked a joke. "I've watched you since you were small, Yelena. You've grown so beautiful, though you still have your big nose."

  Yelena frowned. "I...I don't remember that part."

  "It's all right." Melina smiled at her.

  Yelena rubbed her nose. Fondness was never part of her nature, but sometimes, she wondered if all the things that Melina said were true, and if it were, Melina was the mother she never had. Something squeezed her chest. "You said you've been watching me?"

  "Since you are very young," Melina confirmed. She wasn't like other Black Widows. Her face was kind whereas the others were cold. She cared for Yelena in a way Madame B never could. Yelena remembered running to a black-haired woman and weeping into her thighs when Madame B had whipped her for failing ballet. She was so sure it was Melina. Those kind eyes were there, though some had been stolen away from her, she still remembered. But most of all what made Melina shine out from the rest of the assassins, she had a mother's smile.

  "You...You never got your memories wiped, have you?" Yelena asked.

  "Oh, of course I did. It was horrible." Melina thumbed the grenade strapped to her belt. "But once I got older, Madame B rarely forces my memories to be wiped clean. I don't remember my childhood, but I remembered you. The way you cried into my shirt. I remembered it all. I begged Madame B to not wipe away my memories of you, and finally she gave in." She flashed a grin at Yelena, all gleaming white teeth.

  Yelena didn't return it back. But her heart had eased, and it was a good feeling. She tensed when she heard a shriek, and readied her gun. "On the count of three, you throw the grenade into the house."

  "One..."

  Melina pulled the pin off the dangerous ball.

  "Two..."