Yelena

Yelena didn't know what she was feeling the moment she woke up. But what she did know was that the weight at her lapel was gone. She touched her jacket all over, and realized she wasn't wearing her gray jacket. She then patted her belt. Or, where her belt used to be. She growled at the loose fitting pants that clearly wasn't hers. Her belt had her three guns, grenades, and knives. Now it was gone. She grumbled and rubbed her sore eyes. Her throat hurt.

  "Hey, you okay?"

  Yelena leaped out of bed and faced the door. Natalia, her supposed blood-related goddamn sister, stood at her doorway. "What did you do? Where the fuck am I, mudak?" She hissed when she saw her belt of weapons wrapped around Natalia's hand. "Give it back, Natalia."

  "Natasha, please." Natasha tossed the belt at Yelena. "I don't want you to go around bombing the whole place once you've woken up. So, I've confiscated your weapons."

  Yelena glared at her empty belt in dismay. Then, she tugged at the ridiculously big sweater she was wearing. "Where is the tracking badge?"

  "I took it off."

  "Oh, so you've nearly suffocated me to death, then decided to electrocute me, then you stripped me from my weapons, and brought me to a stranger's house having to wear these stupid clothes!" Yelena yelled. She flew across the room in two huge strides and shoved Natasha against the wall. Her fingers dug into Natasha's chest. "You traitorous, vile idiot."

  Natasha seized the belt from Yelena's hand and whipped her sister forcefully. Yelena stumbled back as the belt came in contact with her mouth. It stung like fire.

  Natasha then leaped onto Yelena and both of them went crashing onto the bed. Despite both of them being enhanced beings and having impeccable fighting abilities, Natasha was older, and had more experience.

  Yelena glowered up at the older Romanova's face. "What is wrong with you?"

  "There's nothing wrong with me. There's something wrong with you." Natasha seized Yelena's shoulders and shook her, hard. "Yelena, pozhaluysta. Please."

  Yelena spat into Natasha's face and as Natasha wiped it off her face, her lip curled in disgust, Yelena tossed Natasha off her and slammed Natasha's head into the wall. "You're hopeless. Dreykov's star pupil," she snarled. "I saw what you did to his daughter. You selfish brat."

  Natasha faltered. Her huge, scared green eyes stared up at Yelena.

  A stolen memory clicked into place.

  Natasha, younger, with the same spooked out eyes, helping tug Yelena out of the handcuffs.

  I'm gonna get you out of here, sestra. I'll protect you.

  The safe feeling in Yelena's young heart.

  Yelena released her hold on Natasha and tripped over her own feet. She crashed to the floor but barely felt it. The memory hurt. She didn't remember that, but she remembered feeling that way. Protected. Safe. Happy. It hurt.

  "You okay, little one?"

  That nickname.

  I'm gonna call you 'little one' from now on.

  No, I don't like it, sister.

  But you suit the name. You're so cute.

  The soft tug of fingers on her cheeks.

  See? Cute.

  I don't like you, Nat.

  Thank you. I love you too.

  Yelena clutched her head. She curled into herself and didn't notice the arm around her shoulders until much later. She flinched away from her sister's touch, which was very unlike Yelena Belova. Romanova. Yelena Romanova. The last name overwhelmed her.

  "What happened?" Natasha's raspy voice asked. Yelena looked up from her arms and saw concern in her sister's eyes.

  "Nothing." Yelena pushed herself up to her feet. "Whose clothes am I wearing?"

  "What?"

  "I said, whose clothes am I wearing?" Yelena repeated, irritated.

  "Oh, uh-" Natasha scratched her neck. "Sam's."

  "Who the fuck is Sam?" Yelena jumped when a voice answered from downstairs.

  "Me!"

  "What the-"

  "You're in my friend's house, and he offered to borrow you his clothes," Natasha explained. "Since yours is equivalent to dogshit."

  Yelena bristled. "You're worse."

  Natasha was quiet for a moment, then she hesitantly reached out and touched Yelena's shoulder. "Do you...remember?"

  Yelena pressed her lips together. "No."

  Natasha studied her face while Yelena shifted around anxiously. She then touched her sister's bruised lip where the belt had hit. "Ona vozitsya s tvoim razumom." Her eyes softened. "She's messing with your mind, my dear sister."

  Yelena turned her head away from Natasha's touch. "Madame?"

  "Yes. And the Red Room as well." Natasha ducked her head to meet Yelena's eyes. "You can come with me. With us. I'm not asking you to join the Avengers." She chuckled. "The boys are crazy. But you can still stay with me if you don't want to stay with them. I'll protect you. No one will ever mess with your mind again."

  Yelena, despite herself, was tempted. But she didn't want to abuse her pride. She hated the feeling she had right now. Hated it so, so much. She despised it, and every single emotion as well. "Nikto ne portit menya, men'she vsego moikh mysley. No one messes with me, least of all my thoughts."

  "Oh, Yelena." Natasha grabbed Yelena and pulled her into a hug. "Always so stubborn. I'm sorry I didn't protect you better."

  Yelena thrashed around in Natasha's grasp, but soon gave up. She rested her head on Natasha's shoulder, allowing a hole to break through the walls she had built around herself. Then, she broke away from the embrace abruptly and turned to walk out the door.

  "I still hate you," she said angrily.

  "I miss you, too."

  Yelena could still hear the smile in Natasha's voice when she closed the door behind her.