Natasha

Natasha didn't think that leaving Steve could hurt that much. It's true she had fallen in love with that perfect soldier, but she couldn't bear to see his face when he knew all the horrible and selfish things she had done in the past.

  Loving you has always been a mistake.

  But she was starting to think she was wrong.

  Loving her has always been nothing but a big fat mistake.

  She didn't know what Steve saw in her that made him want her.

  "You said...they were soldiers?" she panted.

  Yelena tugged her hood over her head more when a stranger walked past her. "You know the Winter Soldiers?"

  "Of course I do. One of them. He is ruthless, and fast." Natasha blinked tears out of her eyes. "You sure that leaving him is the right way?"

  Yelena nodded. "You don't want your feelings for him to grow, so the best way is to leave and forget about him."

  Natasha bit back a sob. She was not going to cry. Especially not over Steve Rogers. "I want to go back," she whispered.

  Yelena slowed down, and Natasha followed. Her eyes flared. "It's true you've gotten softer. So much softer. And for him."

  "I know." Natasha furiously rubbed at her eyes. "You are the one who told me to go back to Russia. And now I've agreed. For what?"

  "I wanted to start a new life in Russia," Yelena hissed. "Change my looks. Change yours. Live a normal life. You're the only person I've left to do all that with." Tears brimmed her eyes. "I lied about the Soldiers going to kill me here. So I could get you out of there, and you will have no one else but me."

  "You're so selfish, Yelena!" Natasha nearly shouted into the night. "I understand that you don't want him and I to be together! I don't want that too. I'm scared, Yelena. I understand that you're jealous because in the past we've got no one other than each other to rely on and care for. I know the memories are coming back to you. But we're not living in the past anymore."

  Yelena scowled furiously down at her feet, and a tear dropped down her nose.

  "I still love you the same, Yelena. Even after I've had friends. I love you so much, sister. You're the only family I've left. I'm not leaving you any time soon." Natasha touched her sister's shoulder, and when Yelena didn't recoil, she crushed Yelena to her chest and hugged her tight.

  Natasha's chest grew wet and warm with Yelena's tears. "I'm sorry," Yelena mumbled, muffled by Natasha's shirt.

  "That's all I've ever wanted to hear." Natasha stroked Yelena's wild blond hair. She kissed Yelena's forehead. "I'm sorry too."

  Both sisters stayed like this in the middle of the street until a light drizzle started to fall.

  "Can we go back now?" Natasha asked.

  "Yeah."

  As the Romanov sisters jogged back the way they came, the shadows moved.

  A gleam of metal caught the moonlight.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
"Steve Steve Steve!" Natasha ran straight into the blonde's arms. "Oh My God, I'm so sorry, Steve. I'm so sorry."

  Steve's arms looped around her waist and he squeezed her to his chest, his cheek squashed against her head. "Don't ever scare me like that again, beautiful."