Someplace Happy

"Steve?"

  Steve opened his eyes, and immediately had to close them again because of the blinding light. Something soft and fluffy tickled his feet and bottom. As he curled his fingers in, the soft feeling was there. It was everywhere, and it filled him up with warmth.

  "Rogers? Is that really you, old man?" A laugh, then, "Nat, come and see this! Come, come!" The laughter became louder, and it mixed with his words, and it was a wonderful sound.

  Tony? Nat?

  "Relax, shellhead. Not everyone can fly like you."

  The voice. That voice.

  Steve couldn't describe what he was feeling. Guilt and disbelief all mashed up together. He didn't know what to feel. Ecstatic? Confused? He wanted to laugh and cry at the same time.

  He didn't know where he was, but if Nat really was here, then it's enough.

  "Steve?"

  Soft, quiet.

  "You came too early."

  Steve cracked his eyes open again, and he couldn't get up, couldn't move, as the silhouette in front of him sported red curls, eyes like the forest covered in mist, skin that seemed to glow under all that light. An arrow necklace glinted like a small burning star around her neck.

  Like an angel.

  "Nat, that can't be you. You're dead. I...I..."

  "Hey, it's not your fault. It's not your fault." Natasha crouched down in front of the broken Captain, and her hands touched his wet cheeks. Her breath smelled like cookies.

  Steve craved her touch. He had missed it for so long, but he couldn't bring himself to touch her. She might fade away, and he imagined bruises appearing on her skin under his fingers.

  Natasha, ever the noticer, picked up on his hesitation and caressed his jawline. "It's okay, Steve. You're all right. I'm all right. You didn't hurt me. That wasn't you." She took his hand and pressed it to her forehead. She was warm, not cold like Steve had expected her to be. "See?"

  "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." Steve sobbed like a child, but he didn't care. He missed her so much. He missed her smile, her laugh, her voice, her touch, everything. "I'm so sorry, Nat."

  "Shh." Natasha's arms went around him and brought him close to her. She stroked his head and attacked him with kisses. On the ears, the nose, the cheeks. "Don't apologise."

  Steve crushed his face into her shoulder and drank in her sweet, sweet scent of home. "I love you, Natasha." He pulled away just in time to see the delighted look that illuminated her face.

  Her smile was wide and shy at the same time. "I...I love you too, Rogers. More than you will ever know."

  Steve kissed her hard, relishing the feeling of her lips on his, and the fire that ran deep into his blood, which made his heart sprint, alive, alive, alive. She kissed him back, just as passionate, and her hand rested on his chest, where his heart was, and it pushed against her palm. He did the same, and realized their hearts had synced at some point.

  "Go get a room, will you?"

  Steve broke away, traced a finger down Natasha's temple and around her eye, admiring her beautiful eye shape, then turned around.

  Yelena's scrunched up face appeared in his vision, her hands on her hips. Her hair was running freely down her shoulders in slight curls, and they shone white-gold. "Stop making us feel like light bulbs, stupid."