Yelena

Yelena could hear murmurs from the other room, and knew that her idiot sister was talking to that bastard again. She still had two more of the bird guy's butter knives stuffed in her pockets, and oh, how tempted she was to use them to impale that murderous Steve's heart. From what she had remembered, Natasha wasn't really this trusting toward anyone. Least of all a man she had just met that killed Melina.

  Yelena paced the entirety of the room, flipping both knives with her fingers. She was feeling agitated and restless. She really, really wanted to stab Steve, take Natasha with her, and travel right back to Russia. She supposed she could leave Sam alone.

  Yelena looked out the window at the starless sky. There was no moon tonight, and she remembered how the stars shone when she buried Melina's body that night, like they were also mourning the loss of another of the countless lives the world had taken. She blinked back frustrated tears as she sat at the writing desk. Melina never deserved this. She never should have been discovered and given to the Red Room. She didn't have a killer's heart. A mother's heart. A mother's touch. She cared for the Romanov sisters like no one could.

  And then she had died a painful death, with a blow to the head.

  And now her damn sister was talking to the murderer of the only person that ever took the effort to care about them.

  A book at the corner of the table caught Yelena's attention, and she flipped through the pages. It had lined pages, and unused. She stared hard at the page, and a small teardrop splashed onto it.

  Yelena growled and wiped at her face aggressively. Her eyes hurt. Then, she searched all around for a pencil, found one in one of the three drawers, and started sketching.

  She didn't really know how to draw, but she was bored out of her mind, and boredom made her want to kill someone. She drove the image of the 'perfect' Captain America out of her mind, and started working on, which will be, a terrible art piece later.

  And indeed it was, for she slammed the book shut and sank deep into the chair, more furious than before. At the same time, the door opened, and the last person she wanted to see poked his head into her room. He should've chosen another, more appropriate time, for she was literally breathing fire.

  "Get out of here!" Yelena yelled.

  "Please, before you start screaming-" Steve started, but Yelena didn't give him the chance to explain.

  She took a scissor from a red pencil case she assumed was Sam's and stabbed it right in the middle of the table, her unusual strength making a little crack crawl across the table where the scissor was buried deep in. "I said, out."

  Steve planted his feet firmly on the ground. "I wanted to say-"

  "What? You're fucking sorry?" Yelena spat. She yanked the knife off the table with a sharp jerk. "That's too late, captain."

  "Hey, I know what I did was wrong, and I didn't force you not to get mad. I'm terrible sorr-"

  "Shut up!" Yelena shouted.

  Steve took a step back and crossed his arms. "Look, ma'am, I begged my friend to shelter you in his house after you had just tried to kill me-"

  "Don't call me ma'am!" Yelena screamed. "No matter what you do, what you say, I don't give a damn shit about it!Nothing you do could ever make me forgive you what you have done. I repeat, nothing!"

  "I was merely trying to protect Nat-"

  That line made Yelena snap. She rushed across the room and slammed the door shut before her tendency to get violent reached its peak. "You think that's called protecting?" she shrieked through the door. "By killing the only one person who ever cared about Natasha? The only person who was like a m-mother..." She bit her bottom lip hard as a tremble rippled through her body.

  Silence on the other side.

  Yelena dropped down to her knees and pressed her forehead hard against the wooden door.

  The door slowly creaked open and Yelena dragged herself to the side and covered her face. The door clicked shut, and she could smell her sister's perfume.

  "Yelena? He really is sorry."

  Yelena shoved her head deeper into her arms, not wanting to listen.

  "I'm sorry, too."

  Yelena peeked out from her arms. "Then you're being an idiot. You have nothing to be sorry about, you're just foolish."

  "I know. I'm sorry."

  "No," Yelena snapped. She sighed softly. "I just don't like how you're with Steve most of the time." She let her frustration creep into her tone. "Don't you remember Melina, and the motherly things she did-"

  "Of course I do, sister."

  Yelena's shoulder warmed where Natasha touched.

  "But she also told me that no one can remain angry forever. You're just making life miserable for yourself. Steve didn't know. He really didn't try to hurt you when we fought. Didn't you see?"

  Yelena did see. But she didn't care. "I miss her," she whispered hoarsely after a while.

  "I miss her too."

  Yelena allowed Natasha to wrap her in a hug, but not longer than three seconds. She pushed Natasha off her awkwardly. "Leave."

  Natasha did.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
"Yelena?"

  "Steve."

  Yelena grudgingly opened the door and saw Steve and Steve only. "Where's my sister?"

  "She asked me to come alone," Steve said, shifting on his feet nervously. Despite being huger and way taller than her, he sure was an anxious guy.

  Yelena kept her annoyance at bay. "What do you want? I don't have all day."

  "I just want to say I'm truly sorry. I sincerely apologise for what I did. I know what I did was truly unforgivable. I know, if I were in your place, I would want to kill me, too." Steve slapped his hands together. "I would want to shake your hand right now, but they're...um...clammy."

  "I wouldn't want to anyway," Yelena responded coldly. She heaved a sigh. "I'm not going easy on you yet, Rogers. But..." She hesitated, then grumbled, "I'll think about it."

  Relied eased the lines on Steve's face. "Thank you."

  "Move along." Yelena waved her hand.

  Steve nodded and went on his way.

  Somewhere down the hallway, Yelena thought she could hear Natasha give an uncharacteristic squeal of joy.