i̳i̳.̳

𝙏he man, Glenn, Tara had said his name was, woke up at some point. Adalyn pulled her legs toward her chest, trying to give him more room. Tara held a hand out to him. "Hey, don't move," she said. She reached for a canteen. "Here's some water."

"Where are we?" he asked, his voice weak.

"I don't know," she admitted. "We were fighting biters and you passed out right after we left the prison. I didn't know what to do. The back of the truck seemed safer than the road."

He seemed to process where he was, eyes going wide as he scrambled to get into a sitting position. Adalyn watched with raised eyebrows. "We're the best bet you guys have got," she said after a moment, trying to seem helpful to the situation.

He started to get to his feet, but Tara grabbed at his arm, speaking gently. "Hey, hey. Hey."

He looked around before he settled on Tara again. "Did we pass a bus?" he asked. "On the road, did we pass a bus?"

"Yeah," she said after a moment.

"What did you see?"

She just stared at him, looking anxious. "What did you see?" he repeated.

She swallowed hard before she replied, "They were all dead."

He took a deep breath, eyes still locked with hers. "How long since we passed it?" he asked.

"Three hours," she replied.

He sat up straighter, tapping at the back window. "I wouldn't do that," Adalyn said, but he ignored her.

"Hey," he said. "Hey, stop the truck."

Abraham responded with the middle finger, which Adalyn figured was a pretty fair answer. But Glenn just made a fist and kept pounding at the window. Finally, Tara joined, slamming her palm against the siding. "Hey, numbnuts, stop the truck!" she snapped.

Glenn grabbed at the gun, knocking the butt of it against the window. "Stop the truck!" He hit it again, but was ignored. "Stop the truck!" he roared. His next hit sent spiderwebs cracks through the glass.

Adalyn rolled her eyes. "Abraham will kill you for that," she stated as the truck rolled to a halt.

She was, again, ignored. The pair opened the back of the truck, hopping out. Abraham climbed out of the cab, coming around with Rosita close at his back. Tara and Glenn grabbed for their supplies, the guy slinging a bag over his shoulder. Eugene started to climb from the cab as Adalyn jumped out of the bed.

"Where the hell are you going?" Abraham demanded, looking between the pair.

When neither answered him, he looked at Tara. "Where the hell is he going?"

Nothing. He turned back to Glenn, moving to block his path. "I don't know if your lady friend's told you about the special nature of the mission we're on, but this shit is time-sensitive, and we were already way behind schedule. So I need you to turn your ass around and get back in the truck."

"I gotta go," Glenn stated.

He made to step around Abraham, who moved as well. "It seems like neither one of you's been paying close enough attention to the hell on earth we've been living in. So let me tell you how to best avoid winding up just another dead-alive prick. You find some strong, like-minded comrades and you stay stuck together like wet on water," stated Abraham. "We need people. The more the better. We need each other, partner. Even with all that gear on your shoulder, you won't last a night. Not by yourself."