i̳x̳.̳

𝘼dalyn was glad for moments of rest whenever they came. Her head was feeling better. Better enough that she didn't need Abraham's help while walking anymore. That was a good thing, she supposed. Abraham had to have gotten tired of lugging her around real quick. She settled to sit on the ground, leaning back against a tree. It felt good to relax for just a moment. To breathe.

She glanced up to see Rick approaching. "Hey," she greeted, flashing a smile. 

He offered a smile in return. "Hey. How's your head?"

"Better," she said. "A lot better. Thanks for asking."

He chuckled, waving a hand toward Abraham. "It's for his sake."

"I look that heavy?" she joked.

An actual laugh left him at that, though he didn't answer the question. "Glad you're okay," he said instead. "Sorry we've been moving so much."

"We can't help it," she said. "This world turns you into a nomad."

"You got that right."

Adalyn would find herself walking alongside Rick most of the time. They'd talk. About anything, really. She learned that he was a cop before everything went to shit, and she talked about her job as a bartender. He didn't say very much, but he could carry a conversation. And Adalyn liked to talk, so she made up for it plenty.

A biter crossed their path one morning as they walked. "I got it," Michonne said.

With the butt of her gun, she hit it across the head, sending it to the ground. Adalyn shivered as she watched her bash its skull in. No matter how many times she saw it, she didn't think she'd get used to it. Cleaner deaths were more her style. Stabbing them straight through the head or just a plain headshot. Anything else, even if they weren't people anymore, just seemed... harsh.

She was happy to set up camp for the night, sitting by the fire the moment she had gotten her things laid out. It felt nice on her skin, warm. Ever since she was a kid she'd loved the smell of fire. Loved everything about fire, really. Watching the smoke and embers fly. Seeing Terminus up in smoke hadn't really ruined that love. If anything, it strengthened it. Fire had helped destroy the people who'd been causing pain for God knows how long.

Carl sat beside her, Judith in his arms. Adalyn smiled, waving at the infant, who stared at her for a moment before starting to smile in response. "She likes you," Carl said.

"Babies love me," Adalyn replied. "Always have." She wiggled her fingers, letting Judith reach out to try and grab at them. 

She looked at Carl, letting out a chuckle. "She's a cute baby."

Carl smiled.

They set off again the next morning. They walked silently, stopping at the sound of footsteps advancing. Carl and Rick readied their guns.

It was Daryl, carrying squirrels. He raised his hands at the sight of the guns. "We surrender," he said.

Rick and Carl lowered their guns, allowing Daryl to join the group. He fell into step with Rick, speaking quietly.

Rick fell back for a moment, whistling to get the attention of those at the back of the line. "Keep close," he said.

Abraham moved to his side. "Ready to get some concrete under your feet?" he asked.