x̳l̳.̳

𝙏he Hilltop looked like a village out of some kind of storybook. There were small stalls erected across the field that the walls encompassed. A man was leading along a young cow. There was a large house in the center that Adalyn could only assume belonged to the leader, Gregory.  Trailers lined one end of the field. Vegetables grew in planter boxes, lined up in neat rows. A woman tended chickens in their coop. There was an actual blacksmiths area, where a man was carefully stoking a fire, a row of spears lined up on the wall.

Harlan looked at Glenn. "Hey, thanks again," he said. "Come see me whenever. I'm just over in the medical trailer, okay?"

Glenn and Maggie flashed smiles in response. Adalyn took Rick's hand in her own, fingers tangling with his. 

"There was a materials yard for a power company nearby," Jesus said as they looked around the place in wonder. "That's how we put up the walls. A lot of people came from a FEMA camp. Trailers came with them."

"How did people find out about this place?" Michonne asked.

Jesus pointed at the big house. "That's called Barrington House. The family that owned it gave it to the state in the '30s. The state turned it into a living history museum. Every elementary school for fifty miles used to come here for field trips. The place was running a long time before the modern world built up around it. I think people came here because they figured it'd keep running after the modern world broke down." He pointed to the windows. "Those windows up there let us see for miles in every direction. It's perfect for security. Come on. I'll show you inside."

They followed, albeit with a little reluctance. Adalyn knew that if this was a trap, whoever was inside could get them with their backs to the wall.

The inside of Barrington House was covered with gorgeous rugs. Chandeliers hung from the ceilings. Paintings covered the walls. The staircase banisters were polished, dark wood.

Daryl stepped toward the paintings, looking them over curiously. 

"Good gracious, Ignatious," Abraham said softly, eyes widening at the sight.

"Most of the rooms have been converted to living spaces," Jesus said. "Even the ones that weren't bedrooms."

Adalyn stared at a pair of silver candlesticks. This place was insane. "People live here and the trailers?" Rick asked.

"We plan to build," Jesus replied. "There's babies being born."

A door opened on the side, and Adalyn jolted to attention, locking eyes with a man, fighting the urge to raise her gun. He was dressed in a suit, for Christ's sake. His eyes flickered down to the pistol in her hand, which she held with a white-knuckled grip.

Then, he looked at Jesus. "Jesus," he greeted. "You're back. With guests."

"Everyone, this is Gregory," Jesus introduced. "He keeps the trains running on time around here."

"I'm boss," Gregory said with a smile.

Rick nodded. "Well, I'm Rick. We have a community- -"

"Why don't y'all go get cleaned up, hmm?" Gregory interjected.

Adalyn raised an eyebrow as Rick answered, "We're fine."