x̳i̳x̳.̳

𝙒alking.

Talking.

Looking for food.

Resting.

No change, no differences. This was every day. Adalyn supposed that, after a certain point, she should have gotten used to it. But she really hadn't. And she was just so tired.

"Dad, look," Carl said.

Everyone looked up, eyes landing on three cars in the road. "I'm gonna head into the woods, circle back," Daryl said.

"May I come with?" Carol asked.

"No," he answered. "No, just me."

Adalyn joined Maggie to search the car at the back. The driver's door opened easily. It wasn't locked. Maggie checked the middle console, while Adalyn went around, climbing into the passenger seat to check the glove compartment. Nothing. Just driver's manuals and insurance papers. The keys were still in the ignition.

Adalyn handed them over to Maggie so she could check the trunk. They walked together around the back to see.

Adalyn jumped at the sight.

A biter. A girl. White-blonde hair, bright blue eyes. She looked a little like Beth. Her wrists and ankles were bound. She was gagged.

She stared up at Adalyn and Maggie, unable to move, growling quietly. Maggie slammed the trunk shut, but, knowing that there were people, the biter began to pound at the inside of the car. 

Adalyn took Maggie by the shoulder, squeezing lightly as Maggie took deep breaths. "It's okay," she offered.

Maggie managed a nod before she made to reopen the trunk. The key jammed. She rattled it in the keyhole, getting angrier as it stayed stuck. Maggie looked close to tears. She slammed her hands against the trunk, reaching for her gun. She was prepared to shoot the keyhole when Glenn took her by the arm.

"Maggie," he said softly.

She lowered the gun, looking at him. "There's one- -" she began, "there's one in there. And I shut it and it's still in there."

"Okay," Glenn said.

Adalyn wrapped an arm around Maggie's shoulders as Glenn opened the trunk, albeit with some difficulty. The biter inside snarled at him.

He took out his knife and killed it quickly. He was about to close the trunk but reconsidered. Adalyn moved aside to let him take Maggie by the arm. "Let's go," he said.

Adalyn looked one more time at the biter before she followed Glenn and Maggie away.

Everyone had settled down to rest when Daryl returned, looking at Rick hopefully. Rick shook his head.

From his bag, Abraham produced a bottle of whiskey. He opened it, smelling it before he took a deep drink. "So all we found was booze?" Tara asked.

"Yeah," Rosita answered.

"It's not gonna help."