x̳x̳x̳v̳.̳

𝙏hey had to go back. That was the right thing to do. But not before they got their weapons back from the bag. Going back blind wouldn't be a good idea, especially with how willing the man was to put a bullet in each of their skulls.

It was hard raising the gun, but Adalyn managed. She and Daryl came up behind the little group, weapons at the ready. The man jolted to his feet, gun drawn. "Drop the gun. Drop it," Daryl stated.

Adalyn watched brunette move to shield the blonde, Tina, as the man slowly lowered the weapon. "Give it to me," Daryl instructed, and the man did as told. "We came all this way. What you got for the duffel? You put us through too much shit just to give it back. Principle of the thing. What you got besides this gun?"

"Nothing," the brunette said.

Daryl's eyes flickered to the man. "What was that thing you were carving?"

The man blinked a few times before he processed, taking the carving from his pocket. "My grandfather taught me how- -"

"Don't care," Daryl stated. "It'll do."

He took that as well, shrugging the duffel off of his shoulder and tossing it toward the man. "Take it. It's all there."

"Good luck," Adalyn offered as she and Daryl turned away.

"You'll need it," Daryl agreed.

And then there were footsteps. Daryl got behind a tree, pulling Adalyn along, keeping her nearly pressed against him. They both watched a truck roll through the trees, a man walking alongside it. The truck squealed to a halt, and the doors opened. Two more men climbed out.

"Let's end this," one of them said.

"It's ours," the brunette called. "We earned what we took."

"You're gonna return what you took," answered the newcomer. "You're gonna pay for the gas it took to come out here and for all the time these men took out. It's over. You know the rules."

"Your rules are batshit!" the brunette stated.

"We're not going back, Wade," the man called out. "We're done kneeling!"

The newcomer, Wade, responded. "Don't change the subject, asshole." He whistled, and the truck's engine revved.

It rolled forward, trampling through the trees. Daryl surveyed the scene. There were men all around, guns at the ready. 

He nodded at Adalyn before they started moving again. "Come on. Hey, that way," he told the small group, and he helped the blonde to her feet.

Then they were off.

They hid in the cover of the trees when they were able. Daryl returned the man's gun, which Adalyn was thankful for. She wasn't sure she'd be much help with a broken arm. There was a walker behind a rock, skin essentially melted to it.

Adalyn watched another man step into the clearing. 

Daryl stepped forward slowly, rustling the branches nearby, catching the new man's attention. He came forward. And then the walker caught him by the arm. He let out a cry as the creature tore into the limb. He spun around, sinking a knife into its head. Once, twice, three times. He pulled free of its grip, examing the damage on his arm. "Wade, I'm bit!" he cried. "Wade, I'm bit!"