l̳i̳i̳.̳

𝘼dalyn woke up before Rick one morning. She turned over in the bed to face him, draping an arm around him. He tensed for a moment, but seemed to, even in his sleeping state, realize it was her. She felt him relax as she let her head rest on his shoulder.

Rick blinked a few times as he woke up. 

"Morning," Adalyn greeted. 

He rolled over, wrapping an arm around her, pulling her flush against his chest. "Morning to you," he replied, and she offered a small smile as he kissed her forehead. 

The baby monitor caught her attention, and Adalyn sighed as Judith started to roll around in the crib. "I've got her," she said, climbing out of the bed and moving to find clothes for the day.

Rick watched her dress with a faint smile. 

Once she was all dressed, she made for Judith's room. The toddler was standing up in her crib, bouncing up and down at the sight of her. Adalyn chuckled, smoothing her hand over Judith's blonde curls. "Good morning, sweetpea." She scooped her up out of the crib, balancing Judith on her hip with one arm. "It's gonna be a good day, little one," she said with a soft smile. "Doesn't that sound great?"

She glanced up at the sound of footsteps to see Rick in the doorway. She raised Judith's hand, making her wave at him. "Is that your dad, sweetpea?" she asked with a chuckle. "Yes, it is. Yes, that's Daddy."

Adalyn had just been ready to start cooking breakfast when Negan arrived. She saw the trucks come up to the gates through the window and shared a look with Rick. "Give Judith to Carl," Rick said. "Keep close to me."

Adalyn did as told.

She was happy that Maggie was at the Hilltop. She wouldn't have to deal with any of this if she just kept her head down.

Rick kept his arm around Adalyn as they made their way to the front gate. Negan was waiting, Lucille slung over his shoulder. He smiled at the sight of Rick.

"Well, hello, there," he greeted.

Spencer moved aside to let Rick step up to the gate. Negan's smile fell when Rick said nothing. "Do not make me have to ask," he stated.

Rick hesitated. "You said a week." He moved to open the gate. "You're early."

Negan's smile returned. He shrugged. "I missed you."

Adalyn took a tight hold of Rick's hand, keeping close to his side. She shivered as a walker started to approach the gates, emboldened by their openness even despite the people surrounding it. Adalyn started to reach for the knife at her hip, but Negan was already taking charge. "Oh, Rick, come on out here," he said. He glanced at Adalyn. "She can come, too. You both have to watch this."

He whirled around to face the walker. "Calling it!" he cried. 

Spencer and Rosita moved forward to watch as Negan hit the walker upside the head with Lucille. He laughed as it hit the ground with a thud. "Easy peasy lemon squeezy!" he stated. Then, he turned to the Saviors. "All right, everybody. Let's get started. Big day."

Adalyn held back the urge to run to Daryl as she picked him out of the crowd of Saviors. He looked... drained, dressed in a beige jumpsuit with an A spray-painted on his chest, his eye blackened.