x̳x̳i̳.̳

𝘼aron was looking at Adalyn. He kept his tone even, finding the right words. "Your name is Adalyn, right?" he asked.

"Why do you care?" she answered, not looking away from Judith as she tickled the infant's chin.

"I know that's your name," he said. "I'm just trying to be nice. Thank you for believing me."

She snorted. "I don't believe you just yet. Or, at least, all of what you're saying. All that I believe is that you, at least, are harmless. Who can say the same about your people?"

Aaron nodded slowly. "I understand that," he said. "I get it. In fact, if I were in your position, I'd probably feel the same. I know that you won't trust me just yet- -"

"So stop trying to make me," Adalyn said, catching him off guard. "I'll decide if I trust you on my own time. I don't need your convincing."

And then Judith started to cry. Adalyn bounced her a few times, speaking in the voice that was reserved especially for Judith. "It's okay. You're okay. Shh, shh."

When that didn't work, Rick took the baby from her arms, lowering to sit down as he attempted to feed her crushed acorns. He shushed her as she cried. 

"You did see the jar of applesauce in my bag, right?" Aaron asked.

Rick looked up at him, expression deadly serious. Aaron continued. "This isn't a trick. This isn't about trying to make you like me. It's self-preservation. Because if the roamers hear her and come this way, I know I'll be the first to go."

Rick looked at Adalyn, nodding toward the bag. She understood the instruction, moving to the table where the contents of Aaron's pack were laid out. She picked up a small jar of homemade applesauce, turning it over in her hands. Rick took it, along with a spoon, trading Judith for the items. Adalyn held the baby, joining in the quiet shushing as Rick took a scoop of applesauce, stepping up to Aaron and holding it out to him.

"You think I'm trying to poison your baby daughter?" Aaron asked, eyes going wide. Rick didn't answer. "I'm tied up and you've already expressed a willingness to stab me in the head. How would cruelly killing your daughter in front of you in any way help the situation?"

Rick lowered down to Aaron's height. "Maybe she doesn't die," he said. "Maybe she gets sick. Maybe you're the only one that can help her and I just lose."

"I am the only one who can help her because I have applesauce and we all win," Aaron stated.

Rick held the spoon out again. Adalyn watched Aaron shrink away from it. Judith wailed in her arms. 

"I hate applesauce," Aaron said. "My mom used to make me eat foods I didn't like to make me more manly. Salmon patties, applesauce, and onions. She was a very confused woman who tried her damndest. I just bring the jar to show that we have apple trees nearby."

Rick shrugged. "Like you said, you'll be the first to go."

Aaron's face screwed up, but he ate the applesauce all the same.

Rick nodded. He licked the spoon himself, tasting the stuff, before he handed the jar over to Adalyn, letting her feed Judith.

"The community is big enough," Aaron said. "We can find a place for you to live where even when she cries, no one, nothing can hear it outside the walls."

Rick glanced at his watch. "You got forty-three minutes," he replied.

Adalyn snuck a bite of the applesauce. She offered Aaron a smile, though she knew it wouldn't help much.

Michonne and the others returned with food. Rick examined the cans carefully.  He looked at Aaron. "This, this is ours now," he said, waving a hand toward the stockpile of food.

"There's more than enough," Aaron replied, nodding.

"It's ours whether or not we go to your camp," Rick continued.

"What do you mean?" Carl asked. "Why wouldn't we go?"

"If he were lying or if he wanted to hurt us... but he isn't and he doesn't," Michonne said. "We need this. So we're going, all of us. Somebody say something if they feel differently."

Adalyn was nodding along.

"I don't know, man," Daryl spoke up. "This barn smells like horse shit." That earned a faint smile from Adalyn.

"Yeah," Rick said. "We're going."

Michonne nodded.

Rick stepped back, looking at Aaron. "So where are we going?" he asked. "Where's your camp?"

"Well, every time I've done this, I've been behind the wheel driving recruits back," Aaron answered. "I believe you're good people. I've bet my life on it. I'm just not ready to bet my friends' lives just yet."

"You're not driving," Michonne said. "So if you want to get home, you'll have to tell us how."

Aaron looked at Rick, who waited expectantly. "Go north on route sixteen," he said.

"And then?" Michonne asked.

"I'll tell you when we get there."

"We'll take twenty-three north," Rick said, looking over a map. "You'll give us directions from there."

"That's- -" Aaron began. "I don't know how else to say it- - that's a bad idea. We've cleared sixteen. It'll be faster."

"We'll take twenty-three," Rick said. "We leave at sundown."

"We're doing this at night?" Sasha asked.

Rick nodded. "Look, I know it's dangerous. But it's better than riding up to the gates during the day. If it isn't safe, we need to get gone before they know we're there."

"No one is going to hurt you," Aaron said. "You're trying to protect your grip, but you're putting them in danger."

Rick rounded on him, looking him in the eyes. "Tell me where the camp is, we'll leave right now."

Aaron looked, for a moment, as if he might give in. And then he shook his head.

Rick gave a stiff nod. It was decided. He looked to the group. "It's gonna be a long night. Eat. Get some rest if you can."

And with nothing more than that, he left the barn.

Michonne followed.