The Slums

He smelt of alcohol and sweat. Every time he spoke to y/n, he ended up slurring his words so much, it was difficult to understand him. "Hey," he began. Y/n was impressed; he managed to stumble over a single word. "Wanna go back to my place?" It took y/n a moment to register his words. She didn't speak drunkard. 

Y/n placed her hands together and looked up at him with big, bright eyes. "That sounds like a fantastic idea, let's go." She helped the man up from his seat and walked him to the bar's door. The palms of her hands felt sticky as soon as she made contact with his arm. 

"I'm so excited to go with you." Y/n kept her voice low, out of fear and embarrassment that the other patrons might overhear her, causing Liar to miss its mark. His face went blank. Y/n slipped her hand in his pocket and pulled out a wallet. She held her hands behind her back and waited for the drunk to come to.

He stumbled a bit as he regained consciousness. Y/n placed her free hand on his arm. "You don't look so good. How about we reschedule?" 

Y/n wasn't sure if it was stupidity or his drunken state, but he agreed to take y/n home with him once he was sober. She abruptly led him out the door. With her shoulder pressed against the doorframe, y/n went through his wallet. She pulled out all the cash and tossed his wallet outside. 

From the other side of the bar, y/n noticed Mr. Goda staring at her. It was hard to gauge how upset he was just by looking at him. He seemed a bit unsettled. She folded up the bills and slipped it in her pocket as she walked up to the front counter. 

Mr. Goda leaned in close to y/n's ear. "I'm going to ignore that one because he's been an ass all night. No more robbing the customers, though." Y/n nodded and apologized to him. He leaned away from y/n, placing a rag on the counter. "We'll just call that one a tip."

Y/n turned away from the counter with a towel in her hand. She approached the now empty table and began to clean it up. 

"Hey, have you seen the new gear I got?" a villain behind y/n was speaking in a low tone. Y/n began to wipe down the table at a much slower pace to eavesdrop on the conversation for a bit longer. 

"Nah, I haven't yet. That's is the stuff you got on discount, right?" another voice replied. Y/n lost a slight interest in their conversation. Giran wouldn't discount anything unless he had to. Even so, she continued to listen in. 

"My dealer has been coming across good stuff lately." He sounded excited. "It almost makes going to those slums worth it." 

Slums? Y/n kept her head down as she finished wiping the table. She stepped behind the counter and put away the worn-out rag. 

She opened her mouth to ask Mr. Goda about the supposed slums she had just heard about, a whistle rung out from the other side of the bar. Y/n looked over, a man gave her a nod. She stepped away from the front counter and pulled her notepad and pen from her back pocket. 

It seems like she won't get to ask her questions until after the bar closes. 

"Forget you heard about that place," Mr. Goda grumbled. Y/n pushed a set of chairs together and looked at them, making sure they were aligned just right. 

Y/n began to carry a small pile of plates to the sink. They clacked together with every step she took. "And why should I do that?" Y/n placed the dishes down and turned on the hot water. Steam rose up into the air. 

"Because it's dangerous." Y/n turned around. Before she could say anything, Mr. Goda cut her off. "And don't you dare say you can handle yourself. You have others to think about too."

Y/n turned around and faced the sink. She looked down at the steady stream of water pouring from the faucet. She chewed on her lower lip. He had a point, she couldn't afford to be careless. However, this could be her only chance to meet with a villain broker. The thought of leaving this uninvestigated was killing her on the inside. "I have no intention to go."