New Life

"Breathe in." Y/n did as she was told. Her eyes darted from one nurse to her side and over to the other. 

"Doing great, now hold it in." Once again, y/n did as she was told. Holding her breath hurt horribly, she fought through the pain and kept it in. 

"Now, exhale slowly." The nurse emphasized her words. Y/n's breath was shaky. Trying to keep her breathing steady made her feel like she was suffocating. 

The nurse went through the cycle again, over and over. Breathe in, hold, breathe out. They pushed her medical bed down the spotless white hallways. Y/n's eyes frantically scanned each face as she passed by. There were too many people. 

They pulled her into a room. The room smelled of chemicals. It reminded her of bleach. Her bed jerked as they lowered her down a bit. Pain shot all around her body, and y/n groaned. 

Y/n watched the nurses crowded around her. One began to attach cords and tubes to her skin while the other wrote something down on a clipboard. In the background, y/n noticed more nurses walking in with the doctor. 

The doctor was a tall, chubby woman with dark hair hiding under her scrub cap. She spoke to the nurses around her in a low tone. One held up their clipboard, and the doctor pointed her finger along the top of the paper.

Y/n tried to listen in on them, through all the pain. She couldn't hear them over the sound of the machine beeping next to her and equipment being rolled in. Little did y/n notice, she had her body run on autopilot. She had been following the nurses' instructions without noticing. 

When her attention returned to her body, y/n had noticed her legs were propped up. The doctor walked up to y/n and took a peek. She turned to the nurse next to her and continued to whisper. With a smile, she looked over at y/n. "Looks like someone is ready to come out and say hello." 

"What? No!" Y/n spoke in a panicked tone. "It's not time yet. I still have almost two more months." 

"Sometimes, early births happen." The smile faded from her face. The doctor walked up to y/n's side with a clipboard. "We still have a bit of time, I have a few questions I need to go through before we begin." 

It seemed like the doctor was going through a list of questions on the board. Do you drink? Smoke or drugs? Any allergies? She looked up from her clipboard, the frown still engraved on her face. "And you came here all alone? No family to accompany you?" 

Y/n ground her teeth before answering. "No, no family here." The doctor made an off-hand comment about how she's surprised y/n was able to fight through the pain and get herself to a hospital without any help. Y/n kept silent. 

The doctor took another peek. "It looks like you're ready." 

Y/n knew it wasn't going to be a painless process, but she didn't quite expect it to be as taxing on her body as she thought. Even with medications to ease her discomfort, y/n still felt shots of pain run along her nerves. 

The doctor stood in front of y/n, two more stood on either side. Sometimes they walked over to the other side of the room. Y/n could never see what exactly they were doing or saying. 

Y/n had a nurse on both sides. One offered to let y/n hold her hand if it made her feel better. Y/n took it and held on tightly.

The nurse to her other side was in charge of talking, it seemed. She praised y/n and encouraged her to keep going. Sometimes she broke away from the compliments to explain what was going on. Y/n practically forgot how to breathe when she announced that a head was beginning to crown. 

Y/n looked at the nurse with a saddened expression. "I don't know what that means." She informed y/n that she was in the home stretch, and she was almost done.